What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Type R - Failing CAT? - lazza

Hello all,

Recently, my 53plate typeR that has 120000 miles on it, has been down on performance.

If/when I'm doing 80mph on the motorway in 6th, it has a hard job to get to 90mph and then feels very restricted. Even dropping a gear to 5th doesn't help to get past 5000rpm. Lower speeds are not a problem as it whizzes up to national speed limit no problem albeit without revs anywhere near VTEC zone.

The oil level is checked on a very regular basis.

I'm no mechanic, but I wonder if the CAT is on it's way out? It is the original one and 8 years old so I wouldn't be surprised.

The tyre and exhaust place near to where I work say that the outside of CAT will be discoloured if it is damaged, but only an emissions check will properly show any end of life signs.

Hope somebody else can help with this before I take car and credit card to Honda.

Mark.

Honda Civic Type R - Failing CAT? - ddr

Had it serviced including fuel and air filters recently?

Yes I have. Late May IIRC. Didn't have a new fuel filter though.

Exhaust system ok, Catalytic converter ok, Oil level ok and Emissions ok.

Diagnosis from a Honda dealer is a 'timing lag at 70mph' which is causing a delay in the vtec operation. This was their conclusion after taking my car for a drive. Their diagnostic equipment didn't show up any faults or problems. So....

.... it could be due to the Timing Chain having stretched over 121000miles.

Wouldn't the tensioner take up the slack(if there is any) in the chain?

Poss next step, a new timing chain + tensioner. Lovely!