What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Slow Puncture/alloy wheels! - elisa1
I have a 1991 Ford Orion that has alloy wheels. It has been losing about 3PSI in the back left tyre every day for the past year. Someone told me that having alloy wheels of this age meant that the seal with the tyre allowed some air to escape. However over the last week it has been losing 20 PSI a day. The tyre itself has enough tread on it but I am willing to buy another I just don't want to waste my money if the tyre is OK. What does everyone think?
Slow Puncture/alloy wheels! - Tim Allcott
If you take it to a reasonable tyre outfit they should be able to clean the tyre bead and the alloy rim where it sits, which might help. Be warned though: I did have this problem, had it fixed, and was still losing pressure from one tyre. When I took it back to complain that they hadn't got it right on that wheel, they found the nail sticking out of the "inside" sidewall. As it is just one tyre that loses this much pressure you need to get it checked!

Tim{P}
Slow Puncture/alloy wheels! - Galaxy
Elisa1,

It might not be the seal of the tyre on the rim.

My Mondeo has alloy wheels, too, and I loose about 5 PSI per week from the fronts. I know for a fact, because I took one off and put it into a bath of water, that the leak is from the metal valve body. Should have taken it in, but never quite got around to it! Still, need front tyres very soon, so will make sure it's sorted out then.

Apparently, it's a quite a well known fault for these metal valve bodies to leak. Someone on here a while back did say that he had all his changed for rubber ones, but I'm not sure this is safe to do. I did try to find out more info, but without any success.

Try doing a search. This subject has come up before.
Slow Puncture/alloy wheels! - Andrew-T
E - if you can get the wheel off, try the soapy-water test on both beads to locate leaks - that is the most likely problem. If it's not, test the valve - the core may be loose or not seating properly. If you need a new core, tyre depots will probably give you a used one off the floor for nowt.

If the beads ARE leaking, get them to clean up and reseal the tyre - shouldn't cost much.