What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
EV Tyre prices - sammy1

An advert for Kwikfit EV tyres popped up on my laptop so I thought I would take a look. I only looked at two different sizes and they were top brands. £388 and £370 including a new TPMS sensor. Quite why you would need new sensors is something else. I know for a MINI they cost £62 each but you can get cheaper ones and then you have to have the tyre off and reset the system. So this would make each tyre over £300 . Probably a poor example of EV tyre prices or is it?... A while back there was some design of a" solid" tyre, did anything become of this?

EV Tyre prices - Adampr

This all sounds very unlikely. There is no such thing as an 'EV tyre' and TPMS sensors are normally £5-10.

EV Tyre prices - Engineer Andy

This all sounds very unlikely. There is no such thing as an 'EV tyre' and TPMS sensors are normally £5-10.

See mcb100's comment below. Seems like EVs are only for the well heeled. I could get 4 tyres for my average sized ICE car for the price of one of those 'EV specials'.

EV Tyre prices - Adampr

See mcb100's comment below. Seems like EVs are only for the well heeled. I could get 4 tyres for my average sized ICE car for the price of one of those 'EV specials'.

I don't think it's about being well-heeled. Someone out there must be stupid enough to pay nearly £400 a corner, but it's completely unnecessary.

EV Tyre prices - Engineer Andy

I don't think it's about being well-heeled. Someone out there must be stupid enough to pay nearly £400 a corner, but it's completely unnecessary.

Only if the prices for supposed 'non-EV tyres' are far cheaper. They aren't that much cheaper. As I've said many times about higher tyre prices over the last 10 years, most of it is because:

a) a move from car manufacturers to fit larger diameter and wider tyres to new cars - whether their weight, handling abilities or performance actually demand them, and;

b) similarly, the car manufacturers are not using 'standardised' tyre size combinations as they used to, seemingly fitting all manner of combinations when, in my view, the 'common' ones from before would've done a fine job, but would cost between 25% and 50% less because of economies of scale.

They, especially the latter, would mean that the cost of replacing tyres would be reduced significantly, with the former contributing to tyres and suspension parts lasting a good deal longer and keeping maintenance costs down.

This is why I believe there has been been collusion - even if it is 'unofficial' - between car manufacturers and tyre manufacturers, who IMHO likely supply OEM tyres at a very low price to 'sweeten' the deal. In the end, both win out because they get significantly more business from replacing tyres and car parts more often and, for tyres, from more diverse stocks, where they can charge far more.

As EVs are much heavier and can apply far more torque than equivalent sized ICE cars, they need large tyres anyway, but IMHO the other factors still come into play, especially as both manufacturer industries rightly believe that EV oweners have a decent amount of cash to splash, given the cost of buying the cars in the first place.

Unlike with (say) clothing where we can buy a t-shirt with or without a 'tick' logo on the front that is otherwise the same quality, but baries in price by over 50%, you can't swap out an 'unusual' tyre (or wheel) size on a car because legally or physically (e.g. due to the bigger brakes) it cannot take the 'standard' one that costs half as much.

EV Tyre prices - sammy1

See the link below for ads

RE the TMPS sensors, I had no experience of these now compulsory on later cars, I had 2 new tyres on the front of my 2019 MINI not even knowing they were fitted. 60 miles later the warning on the dash. It told me their was a problem but not which wheel. I went back to the garage and they have a device which identifies the wheel as they work on a frequency. It turns out that one of the sensors was damaged by the tyre fitter. You have to fit a compatible sensor to the car or change all four and then you do not know if the "box " that controls the system is compatible also without the diagnostic kit even the control box could be faulty. if not a wheel sensor. So another nightmare and potential pocket robber. Yes to can buy sensors for a tenner but fitting to all 4 wheels will cost you and will they work?

EV Tyre prices - Adampr

RE the TMPS sensors, I had no experience of these now compulsory on later cars, I had 2 new tyres on the front of my 2019 MINI not even knowing they were fitted. 60 miles later the warning on the dash. It told me their was a problem but not which wheel. I went back to the garage and they have a device which identifies the wheel as they work on a frequency. It turns out that one of the sensors was damaged by the tyre fitter. You have to fit a compatible sensor to the car or change all four and then you do not know if the "box " that controls the system is compatible also without the diagnostic kit even the control box could be faulty. if not a wheel sensor. So another nightmare and potential pocket robber. Yes to can buy sensors for a tenner but fitting to all 4 wheels will cost you and will they work?

Were slightly talking at cross purposes. Normally, when people recommend new sensors with new tyres, they actually mean the valve and associated gubbins rather than the sensor itself. That's what Kwik Fit are probably suggesting you change, not the sensors.

EV Tyre prices - sammy1

Were slightly talking at cross purposes. Normally, when people recommend new sensors with new tyres, they actually mean the valve and associated gubbins rather than the sensor itself. That's what Kwik Fit are probably suggesting you change, not the sensors.

Yes agree the valves seem to have "life" of perhaps 5 years. The whole new sensors are expensive and what I described diagnosing a wonky one needs the reader.

EV Tyre prices - Andrew-T

<< Normally, when people recommend new sensors with new tyres, they actually mean the valve and associated gubbins rather than the sensor itself. >>

Just another technological advance, all very clever and no doubt well-intentioned and quite likely adding to the cost of car maintenance. With 'traditional' cars - i.e. old ones, like those I drive - when a tyre is removed from a wheel for repair or replacement, the wheel is rebalanced with a new plain valve, at low cost. When sensors are part of the package life can get more complicated, very probably for no advantage and possibly some disadvantage.

Automatic warning of tyre deflation is clearly more important with a 44-tonner, but extending it to passenger cars, thereby relieving drivers of the need to think about these things, is not necessarily a clever idea IMHO.

EV Tyre prices - RT

Oh there is - several tyre makers have developed EV versions of their regular tyres - in the case of Vredestein Quatrac Pro the EV version has harder compound to counter the increased wear rate and softer sidewalls to improve the ride - I looked at using them on my non-EV but concluded that the harder compound would give less grip and the sidewall more prone to punctures.

Some TPMS sensors may be £5 but I can't find any for my VW Touareg under £45

EV Tyre prices - Adampr

Oh there is - several tyre makers have developed EV versions of their regular tyres - in the case of Vredestein Quatrac Pro the EV version has harder compound to counter the increased wear rate and softer sidewalls to improve the ride - I looked at using them on my non-EV but concluded that the harder compound would give less grip and the sidewall more prone to punctures.

Some TPMS sensors may be £5 but I can't find any for my VW Touareg under £45

See my above backtracking on different terminology around 'TPMS sensor'.

I appreciate there companies making tyres branded as 'EV tyres'. What I meant was any tyres will do exactly the same job. It's all just marketing nonsense.

EV Tyre prices - mcb100
Tyre manufacturers are developing tyres specifically for EV’s. Michelin have, for example, the E-Primacy and Pilot Sport EV, designed to cope with instantaneous torque demands, extra weight and quiet running.
That’s not to say that a ‘conventional’ tyre, as long as speed and load ratings match, won’t do a perfectly good job.
EV Tyre prices - mcb100
Out of interest, what size was it?
EV Tyre prices - movilogo

I searched on internet whether EVs need special tyres.

The answer is mostly no with some yes, unsurprisingly all yes are from tyre manufacturers.

That kept me thinking whether full torque at any RPM is good or bad thing, especially if it requires more expensive tyres!

Edited by movilogo on 30/05/2023 at 13:58

EV Tyre prices - sammy1

""Michelin Pilot Sport EV 275/35Y22 (104) MO1 Tyres | Kwik Fit (kwik-fit.com)

Out of interest do you know why the speed rating is Y22 104 is this 104MPH?

EV Tyre prices - Manatee

>>why the speed rating is Y22 104 is this 104MPH?

I don't know what the 104 is, but Y is <=186mph. 104 is possibly the load rating.

Edited by Manatee on 30/05/2023 at 15:34

EV Tyre prices - RT

I don't know what the 104 is, but Y is <=186mph. 104 is possibly the load rating.

104 is the Load Rating, represents 900 kg - car makers fit much higher load rating than strictly necessary

EV Tyre prices - Bromptonaut

""Michelin Pilot Sport EV 275/35Y22 (104) MO1 Tyres | Kwik Fit (kwik-fit.com)

Out of interest do you know why the speed rating is Y22 104 is this 104MPH?

I suspect the price is to do with the low profile etc on a large rim rather than vehicles powered by electrickery. Michelins are a premium brand and the ad mentions sports vehicles.

How much is a tyre for a Porsche?

A quick search for a bog standard electric such as Zoe (205/47 R 17) or Leaf (225/45 R18) gives results in the £60-£90 range. Perhaps £100+ for Michelin.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/05/2023 at 15:57

EV Tyre prices - Brit_in_Germany
I suspect the price is to do with the low profile etc on a large rim rather than vehicles powered by electrickery. Michelins are a premium brand and the ad mentions sports vehicles.

Exactly that - a low profile, high load rating tyre is going to be an expensive and uncomfortable

EV Tyre prices - Palcouk

I use add blockers on Systems so i dont see any junk, and in any case would never click an unrequested link.

You probably need also to scan your system for malware

EV Tyre prices - Wee Willie Winkie

I've just changed both front tyres on my Tesla Model 3. Stuck with Michelin OE fitment - £232 each with no need to change TPMS sensors.

I'm fairly sure there's a LOT of ICE cars with similar/higher tyre costs.

EV Tyre prices - sammy1

I use add blockers on Systems so i dont see any junk, and in any case would never click an unrequested link.

You probably need also to scan your system for malware

I don't mind seeing some ads. This is a genuine ad for the company

EV Tyre prices - movilogo

If you use Brave browser it blocks all ads by default, including YouTube ads!

EV Tyre prices - Ethan Edwards

As long as it has the right size/ load factor / speed rating then it gets fitted to my EV. 186mph speed rating is just a fraction over what my EV requires with its max speed of 94mph. Second as my EV is only 333kg heavier than the Petrol version I think provided the load rating is the same as oem then I'll pass on the EV only tyres.

EV Tyre prices - badbusdriver

104 is indeed the load rating, it represents 900kg per tyre.

EV Tyre prices - mcb100
22 inch diameter is a big old tyre, with not much using anything that size. No wonder it was expensive.
EV Tyre prices - Adampr
22 inch diameter is a big old tyre, with not much using anything that size. No wonder it was expensive.

Good point. The cheapest (at Kwik Fit) tyre that size is more than £270. The equivalent 'not EV' tyre is about £345.

EV Tyre prices - Terry W

A 60 kwh EV battery giving a range of 200-250 miles weighs about 400kg.

Assume an EV motor and control systems weigh the same as ICE + clutch + gearbox so this is all additional vehicle weight. Question - would the tyre load rating need to be increased to cope with an additional 100kg per corner?

My current car has two standard fit tyres - 16" with a 91 load rating (615 kg per tyre), and 17" with a 94 load rating (670 kg per tyre).

Simply fitting the higher load rating at no material difference in cost would cover 220 kg of the additional battery weight. As the car left the factory with a kerb weight of ~300 kg per corner, the tyre load rating includes a large (100%+) safety margin anyway.

There may be extreme examples where more expensive much higher spec tyres are required for some EVs. For "normal" EVs there seems little reason to be concerned.

The tyre companies are motivated by profit. If they can persuade (con) typical EV drivers and forum members that they need to pay a massive premium for "EV compliant tyres" they will do so.

EV Tyre prices - sammy1

""he tyre companies are motivated by profit. If they can persuade (con) typical EV drivers and forum members that they need to pay a massive premium for "EV compliant tyres" they will do so."""

One of the reasons given for developing EV tyres is road noise. So there could be a "problem" with their extra weight giving a noisier ride? What I notice when walking is no matter the car their tyres make the same racket on the tarmac . I am sure someone will poo poo the idea but tyre companies are always trying to improve. The pollution tyre wear gives off is something else

Do EVs have stronger suspension components to compensate for the extra weight?

Edited by sammy1 on 31/05/2023 at 17:36

EV Tyre prices - RT

""he tyre companies are motivated by profit. If they can persuade (con) typical EV drivers and forum members that they need to pay a massive premium for "EV compliant tyres" they will do so."""

One of the reasons given for developing EV tyres is road noise. So there could be a "problem" with their extra weight giving a noisier ride? What I notice when walking is no matter the car their tyres make the same racket on the tarmac . I am sure someone will poo poo the idea but tyre companies are always trying to improve. The pollution tyre wear gives off is something else

Do EVs have stronger suspension components to compensate for the extra weight?

The absence of engine/transmission noise means that road noise is the major intrusion for EVs so reducing the tyre noise is the target - however EVs are still subject to the road niose from other vehicles.

EV Tyre prices - Terry W

Worth contemplating the fact that the weight of the average mid size EV is similar an executive ICE motor and rather less than premium ICE (S Class, A8 etc)

They don't seem to have a problem with road noise or weight and use fairly standard tyres, albeit rather larger sizes typically.

The comment re more intrusive road noise as EV is so quiet is very sensible. Otherwise more largely unsupportable anti-EV nonsense.

EV Tyre prices - badbusdriver

Luxury cars, who's aim has been to insulate the occupants in an oasis of silence, have been around for a very long time. Most of those luxury cars are very heavy. And while no ICE can deliver peak torque immediately, plenty of those heavy luxury cars over the years have been able to deliver huge amounts of torque from little more than tickover.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/05/2023 at 19:30