What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - Sorceress

I have seem to come across a very reasonably priced car but I am a little suspicious as it seems to be on the market for substantially less than other vehicles of the same model and specification.

I looked into the MOT history and had come across numerous advisory notices but due to my complete lack of relevant knowledge and understanding I'm not aware of how severe the previous faults and damages are, nor the chances of them reoccuring, nor how costly they may be to repair.

The vehicle registration number is WP07 KLV.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - 520i

Hmm. There's a lot of deterioration of joints and linkages going on there over the past two years. Are you intending to retain the car long term? None of that is terminal, but you're very likely to be looking at some repairs in the not too distant future, and probably some rattles and clunks in the meantime!

It's very good haggling material, but then I suspect the seller may well prefer to wait until somebody less thorough than you comes along and buys it unaware. If it's already cheap, ask the seller why. If he says it's because the last MOT threw up some advisories, he's being straight and it might be worth a think. If he says something else, you might want to ponder whether he's likely to want to reduce it any more, and whether you really want to buy something that much cheaper than it should be.

Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - RichardW

Only really a bunch of advisories on this year's test:

Advisory notice item(s)

• exhaust shield loose

Offside Front Anti-roll bar has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

Nearside Rear Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)

Offside Rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)

Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened borh (3.5.1i)

I would suspect that none of those have seen any attention since March. Roll bar link will need to be replaced - may have been done as they quickly get noisy and annoying. Play in the rack inner joint and wheel bearing likely very slight. They like putting brake hoses on MOT advisories, but I very much doubt a 10 year old car would need new ones. Front discs can warrant that sort of note, but be serviceable for another 30k miles - they're probably the originals, replacement will not be that dear. There is very little in the previous history - none of this would put me of. But the fact that it is priced cheap rings an alarm bell - assume this a trader? Are all his cars cheap? Has it had a lot of owners? is there some evidence it's been serviced?

Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - madf

There appears to be a year's gap when off the road...

Expiry date: 14th August 2015

Next test :10th March 2016

And the mileage has fallen from 53,475 to 51,306

So my conclusions are:

It has probably been crashed, not recorded and rebuilt and clocked.

I would run a mile. (Don't bother asking - lots more for sale)

Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - nellyjak

As above...I wouldn't touch it....it may not turn out to be as "cheap" as it seems....RAF..!...(run away fast)

Ford Focus 1.6 - MOT history review help! - Andrew-T

I have seem to come across a very reasonably priced car but I am a little suspicious as it seems to be on the market for substantially less than other vehicles of the same model and specification.

It doesn't necessarily follow that this car is dodgy or dangerous, though as has been said, there are plenty of others to choose from. Maybe the owner has been trying to sell for a while (because there are plenty to choose from) and has dropped the price. It's certainly possible that there has been some damage somewhere, but the only way to find out is to have a look and ask the right questions.

If every cheap car was dodgy, we would only ever buy the dearest ones.