What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus ST - Bobbin Threadbare

Just read the review of the new Ford Focus ST: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/ford/ford-focus-st.../

What a smart plan to make an estate version! If I had a bunch of children/dogs/stuff to put in a car but wished to keep 'driving' instead of 'transporting', it'd be a great bet if cars like the BMW Tourings were out of my price range.

Also hopefully this means that the existing ST will start to drop in price in the used market (it's on my list...)

Focus ST - unthrottled

If the previous ST is anything to go by, it'lll be a peach. Unlike the previous version, it actually looks decent!

Focus ST - Avant

You're right, Bobbin - it is indeed a smart move to offer the ST also as an estate. I wanted a Golf GTI estate, and fortunately although VW can't supply it, Skoda can.

The new Focus estate is one of the better efforts to combine style with practicality - i.e.to provide plenty of room for people and gubbins without looking as if you've come to mend the photocopier.

Focus ST - TeeCee

>> without looking as if you've come to mend the photocopier.

Hmm, not sure about that. Every photocopier / printer / vending machine repair bloke I've seen in recent years arrived in a Ford Focus estate......

Focus ST - unthrottled

While we're at it, I'd rather look like a photocopier repair man than a management consultant. The former is at least useful...

Focus ST - oldtoffee

My initial reaction was "that looks very nice, bet it goes and handles well." Then I wondered a bit too soon after how comfy it was and whether it was noisy or not. Got to find a way to slow down this ageing process it's beginning to get a grip. Hmm maybe a quick read through the Porsche Boxter review ....

Focus ST - zango

No automatic version is the only problem.

Difficult to see how they can sell a "world car" in the US without one, so I only hope that it will be along later.

Until it arrives I won't be buying one!

Focus ST - RT

No automatic version is the only problem.

Difficult to see how they can sell a "world car" in the US without one, so I only hope that it will be along later.

Until it arrives I won't be buying one!

The Focus ST will only be available in the USA as a manual.

I'm guessing that Ford don't have a front-wheel drive transverse automatic transmission capable of handling 270lbft torque - or maybe they have but only the old slush-box power-zapping type.

Focus ST - unthrottled

Difficult to see how they can sell a "world car" in the US without one

Not really. At the performance end of the market, manuals are popular in the US. Plenty of Corvettes, BMWs, Porsches, Subaru WRXs etc. are sold with manual boxes. VW sell a lot of diesel Jettas with manuals. Manual may only represent 7% or so of US car sales, but with 200,000,000+ drivers, that's still a potential market of 14,000,000!

An auto version! Noooo. It seems so wrong.

A US-dwelling friend of mine hunts out manuals; his neighbours have had him teaching them to 'drive stick'.

Focus ST - daveyjp
Ford did do a hot Mondeo estate with the 2.5T engine. I saw one the other week and it had real Q car appeal.

Yes - to match up with the ST220 hatch Mondeo. Which is a stunner of a car. An ex colleague of mine smashed his to pieces on the M62, the idiot. What a waste.

Focus ST - corax
Ford did do a hot Mondeo estate with the 2.5T engine. I saw one the other week and it had real Q car appeal.

If you can cope with the thirst, there's nothing really to criticise, same goes for the Focus. Great Recaro seats.

Focus ST - unthrottled

The seats are good! Once you're in it, you forget that it is a Focus. The cockpit is a paragon of good design-no wannabe F16 flight deck, just nice simple gauges and dials. Boost gauge looks a bit silly perched out on top of the middle of the dashboard-buit at least it has one,..

Focus ST - zango
The current MK4 Mondeo has the same 2.0 engine available in two variants 203bhp and 240bhp, both available with a 6 speed powershift auto.

So it seems strange to me that Ford would release the Focus ST without this option. The excuse that "drivers cars" are all manuals in nonsense. It is more about low sales volumes of these cars not justifying the development costs.

Look at VAG if you need more convincing. Polo GTI, Fabia VRS are auto only. For the best selling Golf GTI I would guess about 30% of Mk5 and Mk6 are DSG judging from the classifieds.

Focus ST - jamie745

Its a nice motor but I'd prefer the ST220.

Focus ST - MikeTorque

"23mph per 1,000rpm in 6 th"

That's far too low a gearing for 6th gear, with so much power & torque available driving long distances would be more comfortable and economical with longer gear ratios.
Hopefully Ford will rethink the gear ratios and offer a more sensible choice of ratios, after all, these days it should be & is possible to have both performance and fuel economy in one package.

The estate does offer superior rear view visibility verses the hatch version, coupled with a big car feel this is load carrying car for those who want (but don't need) the extra performance. (and yes I would like one except my diesel uses half as much fuel with enough performance to pass an ST whilst the ST is being refuelled).