What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - '01 Ford Fiesta - does this sound right? - flyingcath

I've never posted before but would really appreciate some advice/opinions on what has happened to my beloved X-reg Ford Fiesta 1.3 Finesse.

I booked in to Mr Clutch to get the clutch & hydraulic bearing replaced - it was taken in this morning. At lunchtime I had a call to say they had replaced the clutch OK, but would also need to replace a hydraulic line as the 'system wasn't re-pressurising due to a leak' (or similar.) It sounded legit so I agreed to it for an extra £55.

After rushing to pick up my car before they shut up shop for the day, I was greeted by the manager who informed me that my car would not start. They took me through and showed me the car with jump leads hooked up to the battery - there was no response when they turned the key. I was astonished - the car has never ever failed to start, and they even admitted to me they were just as mystified, as they got it off the ramp fine and it had been started several times during the day.

They are keeping it overnight, but I'm fuming. Not only have I wasted taxi fare in my rush to get there before they closed, but more pressingly, I am due to drive to Pembrokeshire on holiday tomorrow!

Am I right to be nervous or is this something easy to fix? Why has the battery suddenly failed to charge? Why can't they find the fault? Will I get my car back tomorrow?!

Ford Fiesta - '01 Ford Fiesta - does this sound right? - Peter.N.

If there was no response from the car with an external battery connected to it the fault must lay with the starter or asociated wiring, are the dash board lights coming on?

Ford Fiesta - '01 Ford Fiesta - does this sound right? - flyingcath

Not sure about the lights - I didn't see the dashboard when the mechanic tried the key.

Thanks for the response, I'd just like to go prepared tomorrow morning with some idea about what the problem is (petrified of being taken for a mug...)