Cheap runabout £2000 advice - Jonnyah

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand cheap runabout within the next couple of months, max price of £2000. I'll mostly be using it at the weekends to get out of the city, or for a quick run down to the supermarket.

I've previously owned a Ford Puma, a Fiat Punto and a Ford Sierra, and I'm really not fussed by the looks of the car, as long as it's reliable and not a shed and will last me for a few years without costing an arm and a leg.

Can anyone reccomend something that would suite my needs? I was considering something Japanese for the reliablilty, but I'm not hugely experienced buying second hand cars.

Thanks

Cheap runabout £2000 advice - Ethan Edwards

Didn't we just do this one?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=94834

The answer was ...a Mondeo IIRC.

As before does your £2K include Insurance and other costs?

Cheap runabout £2000 advice - Jonnyah

Sorry, hadn't seen that post.

£2000 would ideally be all in including insurance, although I can stretch to more if it would be better value.

Cheap runabout £2000 advice - barney100

I had a look on autotrader when this arose last t ime and there were some interesting 2k cars, give it a go and see what comes up.

Cheap runabout £2000 advice - lastyboy

If its big enough for you, the most reliable car in my opinion at that budget would be a Toyota Yaris. 1.0 or 1.3

Cheap runabout £2000 advice - madf

If its big enough for you, the most reliable car in my opinion at that budget would be a Toyota Yaris. 1.0 or 1.3

I'm biased but agree. My son has done 20k in 2 years in a 2001 1.0.. It's now done 110k miles.

Very reliable.

1.4 diesels are out of your price range..

A careful search on Autotrader and you will still find 10 year old ones under 60k miles...

Edited by madf on 11/02/2012 at 13:07