What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic diesel hatchback (2004) - Steering kick-back - MBA11

Occasionally, and possibly mainly when the car has been driven for a couple of hours, the steering stops turning smoothly in either direction when taking sharper turns at (usually) fairly slow speeds, such as when going round a roundabout or turning at a junction. I feel a sort of kick-back from the steering, as if I was hitting up against a stop that is not normally there. By persisting, despite further kick-backs, I can take the corner, but it is disconcerting!

I did have a problem with the steering a few months ago, when the EPS warning light came on, and the steering became extremely heavy. A faulty battery was diagnosed, and I thought replacing the battery would solve all steering problems, but it didn't.

The garage has not been able to find anything wrong, and has just given an MOT pass to the car. They suggest that I might need a new steering rack if the problem continues.

Do you have any other or better ideas?

Honda Civic diesel hatchback (2004) - Steering kick-back - TeeCee

Definately sounds like it's losing power assistance intermittantly (and altogether when the lamp came on).

If it's a hydraulic rack with a seperate pump (either engine driven or electric), then it's more likely the pump. If it's a directly driven electric rack, then you will probably have to change the whole rack, unless the drive motor is available seperately.