What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus estate - replacing discs and pads - danny p

hi all. i had new discs and pads fitted 18 months ago by local mechanic who ive used for years. i had brake judder. this fixed my judder. he has just done interim service and advised that discs looked worn. theres a groove on one disc. i am a precision engineer by trade and would say is no deeper than 0.1mm deep. on the edge of the disc is a lip no bigger than 0.4mm. so are they still ok or have to be replaced? im no speed freak or heavy braker far fom it. i would have expected longer life than 18 months. i had years from my previous set before the judder issue. any helps guys thanks

ford focus estate - replacing discs and pads - mikej

Sounds like he's just fishing for work to me.

How worn are your pads ? Does the groove match the size of the pad, so is down to normal wear ?

There's no way that discs should be wearing out before pads if replaced together, in my experience.

To give you an idea of typical wear, I did around 75k miles just over 8 years in my old Focus and only recall changing the front discs twice during that time and the second was only a year or so before I sold it. My current Mazda 6 is on it's original front pads and discs at 55k miles and there is still plenty of wear left in both of them !

I'm pretty sure my discs wore down by a fair few mm each side before they started flagging up as needing replacing in the past.