What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault - Lack of Torque - Carole4X4
I really Wish car manufacturers would learn that not everyone is a tree hugging Eco warrior that wants to save 3 leaves per 500 years by the car they drive emitting 106g of co2/km instead of 130g per km at the expense of regular power and torque.
If I wanted to save trees etc I'd walk everywhere. I don't so I drive.
If I wanted a car that had no torque and s***ty fuel economy then I'd buy a s***ty little 1 litre petrol car with 50bhp and less than 100lb/ft of torque not a 110bhp diesel that can develop 200+ lb/ft torque.

STOP trying to make regular cars Eco friendly and let those of us who want to drive drive and let the tree huggers walk everywhere and eat veggies.

Rant over, car goes back to dealers AGAIN next week and god help them when I get there.
Renault - Lack of Torque - Ethan Edwards

Back in 01 I bought a new RM Scenic RX4 Dci 105 yada yada yad (top of the range). Boy was that underpowered.

If yours is a TD why not have it chipped.

Renault - Lack of Torque - Collos25

There are plenty of fast ,thirsty and cheap cars out there for sale its just that the majority of people put economy before most other things I believe there still is a 70mph speed limit in the UK which sort of aleviates the purchase of forsaid vehicles.

Renault - Lack of Torque - diddy1234

I think this is a general trend.

Force us to be greener and slow us all down at the same time.

Just look at all of the main car makers even the main stream cars seem to be getting slower and putting out less emissions.

There is even less choice of engine sizes now (for petrol engines at least) :-

Vauxhall astra - 1.4L, a.4L Turbo and 1.6L engines

Ford Focus - 1.4L, 1.6L ecoboost

Not even a 1.8L engine now.

I did also notice that at the moment you could not even buy a Focus RS, ST or even an Astra VXR.

They are just not available for purchase (brand new).

For me I currently have the Kia Rio 1.5L and it certanly goes well enough.

As for hugging trees, only of use when I tax the car otherwise I am not concerned at all.

However it goes too well to chop and change it for the new Rio with its punny 1.4L diesel engine.

Greener than my car - slightly, slower than my car - oh yes, no point changing then.

Bottom line, I wont be changing my car just yet.

Edited by diddy1234 on 26/09/2011 at 17:20

Renault - Lack of Torque - Ethan Edwards

Larger cars with highly stressed eg turbocharged engines, is it just me who thinks they won't be reliable? I'm thinking about a mate who had a R5 GT Turbo (then a brand new (company) car .....way back when...) who went throught four new engines in eight months. Luckily it was under warranty.

Take the X Picasso. At one time the forum seemed to be replete with people having 'issues' with the weenie little 1.6 TD engine'd version.

Now you can get quite large heavy cars with a 1.4 turbo? Not for me.

Plenty of BMW 535,Mercedes e class petrols,Jaguar s type petrols etc big brutish petrol guzzelling monsters just for the motorhead part of the population if you are prepared to pay the running costs the worlds your oyster.

Renault - Lack of Torque - mss1tw

The old T3 Transporter 1.6TD's used to do head gaskets quite often I believe, certainly less reliable than the normally aspirated 1.6 diesel. Ours went round the clock about 3 times. (At its own pace!)

Renault - Lack of Torque - Bobbin Threadbare

Buy used! I'm prepared to take the tax hit on mine; it's only one cost and since my insurance is dropping as I get more NCB and get older, my next car will be a high brake horse powered beast, as it'll balance out. I'm prepared to pay for that enjoyment!!

Renault - Lack of Torque - jamie745

Carole4X4, if you are a lady would you please marry me, if you're a gentleman could you loan me your wife for an evening?

I like you!

Its not about the 70mph speed limit, a Fiesta can go faster than that its about how easily and quickly you get to that speed. Going up a hill at 30mph you want a good bit of torque and grunt and these eco cars generally struggle. In the real world you go from 0-20 and 50-70 alot, yet the only focus from car makers is trying to shave a gram of carbon dioxide off of its figures and charge you 2k more for it.

As a matter of interest what is the definition of torque because nobody in this thread seems to have the correct definition or using it in the correct way.

<*** class="tex" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/4/b/34be615483d01fea0d42822a7010abc7.png" alt="\boldsymbol \tau = \mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{F}\,\!" /> <*** class="tex" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/3/7/b37cbcae0e83b25b1f26bbdab44f2e32.png" alt="\tau = rF\sin \theta\,\!" />

Edited by Collos25 on 26/09/2011 at 21:26

Renault - Lack of Torque - Bobbin Threadbare

Physicist answer is that torque is the ability of a force to rotate an object around a pivot, or a measure of how much a force acting on an object causes it to rotate. It's measured in Newton-metres. It causes angular acceleration, so effectively this is the rotational analogue to Newton's 2nd Law. So the horsepower of an engine is the torque x revs per min, divided by some constant that'll take into account pi and stuff.

I didnt understand any of that. But as a basic rule the more of it you've got the better. There we go.

Renault - Lack of Torque - SteveLee

Cars have a rather useful torque multiplier - it's called a "gearbox" when the right gear is selected even the most miserly eco-box will function adequately. Even a 105PS Golf Tdi will do 0-60 in 10.9 secs and has plenty of grunt.

Of course, if you want a fast car then buy one – there are plenty out there – just expect to pay through the nose to run it due to the perceived damage caused by its elevated plant food emissions - even though you already pay far more tax thanks to the increased fuel consumption.

Renault - Lack of Torque - corax

You can't blame car manufacturers for producing eco engines - their hands are tied by increasingly stringent EU regulations - it's the way we are headed.

it's the way we are headed.

And yet we keep blindly going along with it. We really are hopeless.

Renault - Lack of Torque - nortones2

Even the USA has to take some account of dwindling resources. If we continue have a more frugal approach overall, it will be a less hard landing than the US faces.