What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1998 - Dragging brakes after new drums and shoes - Quack

I have an old Ford Fiesta thats done 120k, the handbrake had been very poor recently and after some failed attempts to fix it I bit the bullet and both the drums and shoes yesterday.

The handbrake now works great (hurray!) but the brake shoes seem to be touching the drums all the time, even with the handbrake cable fully slack. I was hoping it would loosen up after a bit of driving, instead the drums were getting hot and one of the rear brakes then starts making a clunking noise at low speeds. This stops once the drums have been allowed to cool, only to start again when they get hot again.

So I figure I need to the stop the shoes dragging on the drum. Any suggestions how to do this? The self adjusters were heavilly corroded, so I'm considering replacing these but am not entirely convinced this will make any difference.

Ford Fiesta 1998 - Dragging brakes after new drums and shoes - barkas

You deffo need to sort your adjusters out, either remove and free them or get new ones, are you sure you have rebuilt the brakes correctly, you also need to check that the cables are not siezing up, disconnect them at the drums then pull your handbrake on then release, the cables should extend back fully without you having to pull them back by hand if they feel tight remove and oil them or replace.