What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus ST - 'Satisfactory Quality' - Keep_Portland_Weird

I have owned my '02 Focus ST for just 10 days and I am having gear linkage problems - I have been told that I will need new gearchange cables. This was not pointed out to me when i purchased the car. The Warranty sold with the car specifically excludes any external gear linkages.

My question is whether I can go back to the dealer and claim that the car they sold me was not of 'Satisfactory Quality'?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Ford Focus ST - 'Satisfactory Quality' - Peter.N.

You can try or contact trading standards. Was there any problem with the gearchange when you tested it? What is the exact nature of the problem?

Ford Focus ST - 'Satisfactory Quality' - Keep_Portland_Weird

The gearshift was quite stiff to use but i wouldn't have known that this could indicate a problem.

Forgive my lack of mechanical know-how - When i put the car into reverse, the gear linkage socket popped out (apparently it was very worn) so the gearshift became loose and i could only select 3rd or 4th gear. The AA refitted the linkage (that sits under the air filter) and secured it with a cable tie. It was the AA that recommended getting a new gear cable (which for the model i have will cost around £250 to change).

Ford Focus ST - 'Satisfactory Quality' - Peter.N.

I would suggest you approach the seller armed with the AA report, can't guarantee it will do any good but might be worth a try. Or they may be willing tio do the job just for the price of the cables.

If its the same as the ordinary focus there is one here for £50.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-focus-C-Max-gearchange-cable-assembly-bnib-/120760861691?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1de883fb