What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Modern fuel systems - Mash
does anyone know for sure what the approach is on modern vehicles in relation to venting of the fuel tank - in the old days it used to be a pin hole in the fuel cap, but do they still do this ?

I thought they vented via a charcoal cannister or something ?
Why does the cap make a hiss when undoing it - is it a vacume or pressure ?

The reason I ask is I am having problems with my new Ford Galaxy regarding strong smell of petrol fumes from the petrol cap (only when driving or after stopping) and the dealer says it's normal, blah, blah. I cannot believe this is normal...

I never used to smell petrol from my old cars and surely a modern car should be better...
Modern fuel systems - Chas{P}
I would insist on getting them to check the vehicle urgently and thoroughly.

There was a fuel pipe chafing problem on much earlier Galaxy petrol models that Ford issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)to deal with.

HTH

Charles
Modern fuel systems - madf
My standard response to dealers who talk such caro:
1. it's illegal. (which it is)
2. If it is safe, ask them to light a match beside it. They of course are responsible for all damage.:-)

IT IS ILLEGAL to vent petrol fumes and DANGEROUS : dealers are just evading their responsibilities...and proving how untrustworthy and pig ignorant most are...
madf
Modern fuel systems - Mash
thank you both for your comments, I have booked it into another dealer and see what happens this time.Otherwise I am going to have to get an independent inspection, from the AA or RAC perhaps.

cheers