What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 hatch (2002) - Headlamp - willow

Hi

I noticed this morning my off-side dip beam was not working. I drove to work and along the way noticed it started to work again. It has been fine since, I have switched the lights on and off several times and left the car and gone back to try again but all seems fine.

I am wondering if this is a sign of a lamp on the way out, or something more sinister. I don't want to go to the expense of buying a new lamp if all is well.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what happened?

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 hatch (2002) - Headlamp - Peter D

The cost of a replacement bulb is not going to break the bank. This could either be a fractured filament which means it will fail or the connector is at fault and could melt the light fitting. I suggest you remove the bulb and check the filament, often if they are faulty if you tap them the filament falls off it mounts. Regards Peter

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 hatch (2002) - Headlamp - willow

Thanks PeterD

By what you are saying, does that mean a lamp may work intermittently then eventually just not work at all? I have had lamps go in the past but they stay gone not come back to life.

Regards Willow

Edited by willow on 09/09/2010 at 09:29

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 hatch (2002) - Headlamp - Peter D

You need to gain access to the rear cover so as to remove it and inspect thre connectors on the buld. If they are OK then try tapping the holder with the bulb on, but be prepared for the bulb to go. Regards Peter