What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - squealing noise - paulq

my 2005 focus 1.6 tdci has in the past 3 weeks developed a squealing noise from the drivers side of the engine.I have had the cambelt and cambelt tensioner changed 2 weeks ago.I have also changed the drivebelt and tensioner.I have today fitted a new alternator thinking it was going to solve the problem.Still no joy the sqealing persists.anyone got any ideas

Ford Focus - squealing noise - MikeTorque

Are you able to locate the exact location of the noise ?

Ford Focus - squealing noise - elekie&a/c doctor

Probably the crankshaft pulley/damper breaking up.Sounds like a problem with the alternator ,but it isn,t.hth

no but the noise is coming from the cambelt side of engine.I was hoping the new alternator was going to cure it

Ford Focus - squealing noise - MikeTorque

If it's not the drive belt slipping then try to ascertain the exact area of the source of the noise. Are there are bearings around the area concerned that could be causing the noise ?

I can't locate the exact source but if i put spanner on the belt tensioner and put more pressure on the belt the noise goes louder,but this tensioner was replaced 2 weeks ago and it didnt cure the problem.The belt itself only goes around the alternator,crankshaft pulley and the air con pump and of course the tensioner.I had a 406 hdi before this car and when that pulley started to break up it made a loud rattling noise not a squeal.Surely someone else must of had the same problem

Ford Focus - squealing noise - rmd-focus

I have the exact same squeak, and have done for the last 20k miles. Ford, in Christchurch, said it was a pre-tensioner for the alternator belt. The repair at the workshop is quite expensive, actually and they are strangely reluctant to change it. I had the exact same noise on my fiesta of old too, which was cured in by replacing the pre-tensioner. Curiously, mine seems worse when the car is left out in the wet or damp.

Ford Focus - squealing noise - t-bird

I have the exact same problem with my 2000 focus 1.8 tddi. It has been squealing for a while now but seems worse the last few days (or i've noticed it more).

When starting the car from cold it starts first time and is ok for about 10 seconds then the squealing starts. It used to stop once driven for about 10 minutes but now it is continuous. Quite embarassing when you work shifts and pull up outside late at night / early morning!

It is very loud and is comming from the aux belt area. I am getting it checked on Saturday so I will post if the fault is found.

I was told a year or so ago my air-con pump had a small oil leak due to possibly the bearing wearing out but not sure if this is the cause of the squealing.

Ford Focus - squealing noise - John F

I had some squissing [squealing/hissing] from the ribbed auxiliary belt area on our 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec.

Try squirting water onto the belt from one of those plastic sprayer household cleaner-type containers while it's running. If it alters/disappears, it's just the belt. If it doesn't make any difference it might be a bearing. Ours was just the belt so when it dried I squirted some ancient belt dressing on it.

In 40yrs and several hundred thousand miles I have never changed a belt [aux or cam] unless it had to come off anyway [e.g. leaky water pump on Audi GL5] - well over 100,000 and never had one break. [record - VW GL2.0 242,000m].

Ford Focus - squealing noise - Peter D

Does it change with the A/c on and off. I suspect the A/C compressor. Regards Peter