What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - planet78
I'm considering buying a Ford Focus. I've been looking at nearly-new examples and have found one at a Ford main dealer near London. They say the car is a Ford Direct model. I asked if that means it had been a daily rental in its former life, but the salesman assured me not and gave me the usual speil about it having been used by a manager at Ford.

I'm not convinced, as the sheer number of Ford Direct cars available at any one time would mean Ford UK must have hundreds of managers putting thousands of miles on these cars in just a few weeks and then starting again.

The model I am considering is an 09 plate with 3500 miles on it. I'm not necessarily adverse to it having been a daily rental in the past, but I would like to know before committing to buy.

I've not seen it yet - I'm going to take a look at it over the weekend. What is the BR's opinion about it having been a renter and how to spot it?

Darren.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Alanovich
Ask to see the V5. I bought a nearly new FIAT Marea once, low miles, one owner. First owner was BUDGET. So that's a rental, then. Didn't stop me buying it and it was a good car.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - L'escargot
If you want a bargain, consider a low mileage car previously owned by Ford Motor Company and run by one of their employees as a management perk. They're sold off at auction and a Ford dealer will be able to get one for you. Just tell them what you want. My 2003 2 litre petrol Focus Ghia was 16 months old, had done only 4000 miles and was £1000 under book price. It came with several extras. The only fault on it was that the brake discs were very rusty due to lack of use, but they cleaned up eventually of their own accord. Other than that it was immaculate both inside and outside.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - shara
I've never (knowingly) bought an ex rental before but have bought ex company cars from auction. The car you're going to see is an 09 plate with 3500 mils. So if you do buy it you will get the balance of the warranty and on the plus side its still low mileage so the main components should be in good shape. If it was an ex rental there may be slight scuffs on the seats and trim and perhaps on the bodywork as well but that is something the dealer could remedy.

With regards the more obvious signs, not sure on that but perhaps the V5 may show a rental company as previous owner. Also a lot of rental cars have no smoking stickers in the window so this may be a sign (might also have been an ex company car though). How about opening the fuel cap? There may be a sticker in there listing the fuel type which can also be a rental car feature.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - DP
In the early days of Ford Direct (early 90's), they were a combination of Ford management cars, corrected misbuilds (much more common than you'd think), cancelled customer orders (a Mondeo 2.0 Ghia auto estate in Citrine Yellow with full RS dress up kit is the most memorable example that springs to mind), and cars which had been returned under the 'Ford Commitment' customer satisfaction scheme (usually with a persistent/recurring fault), which had been "refurbed" and punted on. I know this because I used to sell them.

FWIW, the customer satisfaction rates for Ford Direct cars, wherever they originally came from, was excellent, and the cars were always beautifully prepped before we even took delivery of them.

Edited by DP on 29/01/2010 at 13:37

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - adam f
On the Ford owners forum, a few people have complained about buying buy a FD car. A few of them found out that the cars were ex AA driving school cars. (Apparently the AA only keep them for 6 months?)
They said a sure way to spot one was by lifting up the passenger footwell carpet and seeing if any holes had been filled in or if there was foam pads covering them.

All useful tips - thanks guys.

The one I am looking at it the top Titanium spec with virtually every extra fitted to it, so I don't think it is likely to have been with a driving school. I'm sure when I go to inspect on Sunday the V5 will be mysteriously unavailable for some reason, so I'll have to see if I can pick up on any of the other clues.

Darren.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - TheOilBurner
Don't bet on it. I've seen Titanium spec Focuses on driving school fleets.

That's probably the only former owner that would put me off.

Ex-Rental isn't usually an issue, and might even be seen as a plus. I'd rather have one of them than a misbuild or a rejected car any day!
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - primeradriver
What you have to remember is that you are saving as much as 40% on the cost of a new car in a lot of cases.

When I'm making savings like that, I am less bothered about a few negatives.

Worst case scenario, you have to take it to the garage a few times, get sick of it and trade it in after 3 years. For more than half what you paid for it, and more likely 2/3.

Plus it's a Ford -- they are hardly renowned for high levels of lemons these days.

I can't say I've ever abused a hire car when it's been under my wing. Far too worried about putting tiny scratches on it and being fined for that.

99% of other people who've had the car will be thinking the same as me. The chances of someone deliberately caning the car beyond what it can take (which is a lot of abuse on a modern car) -- slim to miniscule.

Edited by primeradriver on 29/01/2010 at 14:25

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - kithmo
You're very unlikely to get an ex-rental car with only 3,500 miles on the clock, the rental companies usually get rid around the time of the first service is due.
My previous Mondeo was an ex-rental, I bought it at 8 months old with 13,600 on the clock and it was the best car I'd ever bought apart from a few more stone chips on the bonnet than I'd have liked, but hey, it was a bargain, £8,000 less than a new one.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - WorkshopTech
From the FD cars we've seen they can be owned by daily rental fleets, driving schools and accident management companies. A big source of these cars is Drive Assist (based in Tamworth i think) they loan out cars whilst accident repairs are being done.
A lot of rental cars have odd names on the V5c (e.g. XYZ Securities or some such) and/or may have Ford as the owner. Basically its can be difficult to know whos actually had the car just by reading the V5. A lot of a certain rental co's ccars are listed as belonging to a 'Security' company in Leicester!
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Gordon17
A few years ago I was working for a company that prepared Ford Direct cars, and they were virtually all ex Daily Rental cars.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - piston power
Once bought a ex motability astra never again driven by an old pops must have never gone over 50mph it was slow & must have had a dog the door handle on the inside had bite marks did not see that on forecourt.!

The 09 focus is extremely low mileage if it has been a pool car or rental it's not had a hard life in that time and still lots of warranty if cheap buy it.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - audiA6tdi
When i worked at Ford the majority of the Focus's and Mondeo's we had off Ford Direct where ex rental. But its not a bad thing, the cars always arrived in A1 condition and my own mother brought one and has never had any problems. The rental companies used to dispose of them at around 11500 miles - just before they were due a service, so make sure the garage your buying it off has completed the first service.

The ex rentals on Ford Direct are more likely to be the LX, Zetec type trim. Models like the Ghia X and the higher trims were very rarely off rentals, they would more likely be ex management or demo cars.

If your looking to hagle with the salesman they typically had around £1200 across them - so haggle hard!
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - SteveLee
Once bought a ex motability astra never again driven by an old pops must have
never gone over 50mph it was slow & must have had a dog the door
handle on the inside had bite marks did not see that on forecourt.!

When my friend inherited his mum's never been above 30 Datsun Sunny, it used to produce a shower of sparks from the exhaust every time it was thrashed as bits of carbon and soot came adrift. It was hideously slow, I ended up taking the head off and doing a decoke for him - the amount of crud in the combustion chambers and exhaust ports had to be seen to be believed. It burned nearly as much oil as petrol such was the smoothness of the bores and the gummed up and sticking piston rings.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Brit_in_Germany
Why not ask the dealer to put it in writing that it has not been used as a rental? If they refuse, you have your answer.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Falkirk Bairn
2 yrs ago I asked at our local Uncle Henry's Emporium about the car's previous life.

"We do not know sir, the cars come by transporter - the Admin people have all the details and they do not work Sat/Sun"

I walked.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - bell boy
3500 miles isnt anything
look at the tyres and see if they are new looking

if they are then car should be ok
if they are kerbed and down on tread then you know its led a hard life in its short term registration period
obviously if the tyres arent oe spec either, then again run
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - ForumNeedsModerating
Excellent tip bell boy - I'll file that away for future reference.
Yes, that sounds like a plan - a good examination of the tyres will be an indication of how hard its former life was, rental or no.

It's specced up to the hilt with, as far as I can see, every option that it was possible to have so I'm hoping that's a good sign that Messrs Avis, Hertz & Co have not been involved.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - loskie
I seem to remember the Ford Direct warranty being more comprehensive than the warranty supplied with a new Ford. I haven't checked this of late but somewhere in the depths of my mind there is this glimmer of a fact. Maybe warranty on clutch is better. Hire cars often have a bar code label on the back quarterlight.

I always make a point of thrashing the hell out of a hire car certainly do not treat it gently like my own. I remember Quentin Wilson when he did Top Gear stating that a hire car was the fastest kind of car you could get.

Edited by loskie on 29/01/2010 at 20:01

I seem to remember the Ford Direct warranty being more comprehensive than the warranty supplied

Its unlimited miles and 2 years if i recall. They are also inspected by the RAC.
ALthough they were when I worked within the trade 3 years ago.
There was never any dents scratches or anything on the car - the paintwork was absolute A1. They must have gone over the panels and had any scratch, dent etc attended to.
Yes, that's still the Ford Direct warranty, which actually makes it superior to the manufacturer's warranty in as much as it is unlimited milage (upto 60,000 miles on the manufacturer's warranty of course).

I'm hoping to keep this car for quite a while so I don't really want one that's got off to a bad start in life.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Fullchat
Isn't there some sort of 7 day 'exchange if you are not satisfied' promise with Ford Direct vehicles?

Edited by Fullchat on 29/01/2010 at 22:02

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - RobertyBob
My Ford Direct Mondeo was previously registered to the Ford Motor Co.

Could still possibly have been a hire car, no problems with it though.

I believe there is a 7 day exchange guarantee, not a money back guarantee.

Edit: Just checked its a "30-day 'no quibble' Exchange Plan".

Edited by RobertyBob on 29/01/2010 at 22:09

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - idle_chatterer
I've had 2 Ford Direct Mondeo III Estates, the first (an LX) was ex rental - funnily enough from a rental franchise only a few miles from where I live and the second (a Zetec) was a Ford management car (e.g. the plates were badged Ford Motor Company). I never knew whether this meant that an employee had it (with 8K miles in 6 months this seems likely) or perhaps it was from their demo fleet (I did hope it wasn't).

However, both were exemplary, the ex rental one had possibly had a few paint / trim repairs but was fine - slightly higher mileage - it was in the days when the rental companies took the cars to 'first service plus 500 miles' (13K), it needed a service - which I insisted upon before delivery. AFAIK the residual value wasn't effected, I only ran it for 12 months before changing it for the Zetec (LX was a bit spartan for me).

The Ford Direct warrantee was excellent e.g. both had their heated screens replaced under the warrantee, a less fussy owner might not have noticed or cared about the few dead wires.

We then bought a non Ford Direct 10 month old Focus Zetec from the same garage as you mention, this was much less well prepared, also ex-rental and the Ford warrantee is not as comprehensive (although does cover the car to 3 years old via dealer warrantees).

So, I would strongly recommend Ford Direct based upon my experience but perhaps examine an ex rental car for paint and trim repairs ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 29/01/2010 at 22:12

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Avant
As someone said above, not all hirers will have been bad drivers: some will have been careful to avoid excess charges etc.

On the other hand the Ford manager could have been a bad driver all the time (s)he had the car.
Well I've arrange to go and see it tomorrow so I will report back.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Alby Back
I've had two Ford direct cars. Both ex rentals. Neither gave any problems. I'd do it again.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - smokie
Same as Humph here - two, both were (are) great cars. Isn't the warranty for longer too?

Edited by smokie on 30/01/2010 at 11:48

Update on this as promised.

Well I was due to travel to the dealers to inspect the car today, and if all was in order, to pretty much do the deal and drive back in the new car.

Had a call from the dealer yesterday to say that this wouldn't be possible as they don't have the keys for the car to hand. They said that the car went to the workshop on Friday to have routine pre-sale checks done, and that at the end of this, their technician has supposedly locked both keys to the car in some sort of personal strong box and the dealer won't be able to get them till Monday. Additionally, they claim to have 12 technicians (each with their own strongbox) and to have no idea which technician worked on the car and therefore which box the keys are in.

I have to say this sounds even more ridiculous written down than it did when I spoke to the dealer yesterday. I asked that surely it was simply a case of a maximum of 12 phone calls to find out which one of their employees had the keys and to get him to come in the release them, but this was all too much for them and they didn't have phone numbers for them, and they'd probably be out, and, we just can't be bothered really.

I was beginning to think I was in some dreary new Channel 4 game show and I have to say that I don't believe their story at all. At that point trust was out of the window and I told them I would no longer be interested in buying the car. They took this very well and promised to refund the £100 fee I had paid to hold the car right away.

Bizarre.

Don't give up on Ford Direct though, my experience of them was excellent and I've recommended them to many people over the years (even if I've gone all snobbish with my own car of late).

I found that my nearest Ford Dealer can never source the car I want or wants too much whereas the one only a few more miles away has always given a good deal and excellent service, moral of the story is to shop around perhaps ?
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - oldnotbold
The dealer principal needs to have a word with himself. The idea that assets of the business can be inaccessible to the business as a result of such "security" policies is extraordinary. The opportunity it gives for an employee to hold the business to ransom is ludicrous.

Good that they refunded the deposit.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - RobertyBob
There is an interesting 'wrinkle' associated with the price of Ford Direct cars that are held as part of Ford's central stock.

The Ford Direct web site will give the price required by the Ford dealer nearest to your quoted post code. The price for the exact same car varies considerably around the country, depending on the dealer. I found the lowest prices were quoted by inputting a Derby postcode; possibly due to the proximity of Motorpoint.

This proved a good bargaining point with my local dealer who, at first, didn't believe me. He seemed genuinely surprised that prices were different at different dealers.

Of course the above does not apply to vehicles that are already part of a dealer's stock.
I found in excess of £1000 difference by entering different postcodes against the same car.
The car I was looking at was already on its way to the dealer when I saw it on their website after initial discovery on Autotrader.

It was at a very good price. I do wonder if they were trying to put me off after seeing the car for themselves and perhaps thinking they could get a bit more for it.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - jc2
An ex-Ford car (as opposed to ex-hire car) will normally have Ford written on the number plates.Tho' some dealers cover it up or fit new plates.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - carl_a
You'll find many of these cars are ex lease to Jaguar/Land Rover employees, keep them for 6-12k miles depending on how quickly their new car arrives. I know a few people that have them, they're well looked after by the first users.

Ford have worked out that there is no way they shift the numbers of cars they need to with the factories they have, nearly new cars are the only way Ford survive in Europe.

Edited by carl_a on 31/01/2010 at 20:58

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - ifithelps
...nearly new cars are the only way Ford survive in Europe...

Think there might be a bit more to it than that:

tinyurl.com/yh9daw2

Ford Europe and US now in profit after dreadful results in the US for years.

In the last quarter of last year Ford Europe made $193m, and Ford US $357m.

All achieved with no government assistance.

The Ford Direct web site will give the price required by the Ford dealer nearest
to your quoted post code. The price for the exact same car varies considerably around
the country depending on the dealer. I found the lowest prices were quoted by inputting
a Derby postcode; possibly due to the proximity of Motorpoint.

Well that certainly explains the behaviour I've seen, I'd just put it down to my nearest dealer wanting a higher margin in the car and had assumed that Ford charged all dealers the same, you live and learn !
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Roly93
Very likely I think.

But I dont see that this should be a negative thing. We have a 53 plate ex-Hertz Focus 1.6.
It had done 12K miles in 8 months, but this is not neccesarily a bad thing either.

Our car is quite simply the sweetest running car I have ever owned and has never given more than a tiny amount of trouble with virtually no expense outside of basic servicing.

So in summary, if the car is clean inside and out, drives well and doesnt have any stange noises coming from the engine or gearbox, it should be a good-un.
The one I was looking at here was the Titanium trim version, so it already had a fair bit of kit. On top of this it had been specified with:

Titanium X pack (essentially leather seats with a few other fripperies)
Touch screen satnav
Cd autochanger
17" alloys
Headlamp washers
Xenon lights
Climate control
Rear parking sensors

In fact I had a look at the Focus brochure and I couldn't see an option it didn't have apart from the mad body kits.

It is 09 registered and has done 3,600 miles. Not the usual recipe for a daily rental I don't suppose.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - Falkirk Bairn
It is 09 registered and has done 3 600 miles. Not the usual recipe for
a daily rental I don't suppose.

>>a

A day rental car, damaged and off road as Ins Cos & Credit Hire Cos argue the toss!!!
Or it could have been one of those low mileage rentals from the Channel Islands I suppose - but why the whole catalogue of extras?
Or it could have been one of those low mileage rentals from the Channel Islands
I suppose - but why the whole catalogue of extras?

A large amount of the Fiesta's on FD are from Jersey - ex rental. Sometimes they may only have 2000 miles on the clock. These were always pretty good cars in mint condition.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - L'escargot
If the price was right I'd have no qualms about buying a Ford Direct car. www.ford.co.uk/FordDirect
Price is £15000 with a generous trade in offer on my existing vehicle. Trade in offer is £7500 on a car I paid £8200 for a year ago.
Might be worth investigating the price to change on a new one, we were offered a similar price for a new 1.8 Titanium with a few options (parking sensors, metallic, climate control IIRC) before Christmas, that's over £4K off list but the trade-in was £500 less than VW offered and SWMBO wanted a Golf.

Remember that most of the options will be almost worthless come trade-in so play hard ball, look at the depreciation calculator on What Car to get an idea of the future value, IIRC a Titanium is worth hardly more than a Zetec at 4 years old and it's the Zetec that are on daily rental which depress those residuals.
In an idle moment I did actually spec one up on Drivethedeal and it came back at just under £19,000. So that's £4000 more and probably a lower PX on mine, but for a brand new one. It would be out of my budget anyway. I'm right at the limit on this deal.
In an idle moment I did actually spec one up on Drivethedeal and it came
back at just under £19 000.

That sounds very high, the options do represent a high profit opportunity for dealers and manufacturers alike. Anyhow, as I've said in my previous posts, my experience of FD is excellent so go with the deal if you want to !
List prices for new Fords - and other makes - have gone over the horizon in the last year or so.

As the OP has found out, list on a top spec Focus can be up to £25K.

Sure, you'll get £4/£5K knocked off, but it's still a lot of dough.

Sure you'll get £4/£5K knocked off but it's still a lot of dough.

Yes I'd noticed, I've posted comments on this before, our money went to VW for SWMBO's new car, I think HJ responded to one of my posts commenting that overall transaction prices rose by £1000 or so in 2009 and I can understand why they needed to, the £ has depreciated significantly against the Euro (and $ and far eastern currencies) and Ford don't manufacture in the UK.

However there is the law of relative utility, Ford may have inflated their list prices in the expectation of discounting but I'm not prepared to pay that much for a Ford - however good they are, especially when you could (in Dec 2009) get a VW for the same or less (badge snobbery I'd admit). If their residuals were better maybe I'd take a different view.
I get the impression prices of used Fords have firmed up a bit.

The car the OP is looking at is a good example.

I don't think a year old, allbeit top spec, Ford Direct Focus would have made £15k a year ago.

The CC3 didn't cost me a lot more than that and it was brand new.

Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - daveyjp
Our neighbours bought a pre registered Focus 2.0TDCi Titanium at the end of 2008. It was £12,500, so it appears prices are now a lot higher.
... Focus 2.0TDCi Titanium at the end of 2008. It was £12,500...

A quick squint at Autotrader suggests the car would have a similar asking price today.

There's a lot of 1.8s, but not many 2.0s, and quite a few of the 2.0s have done 20k-plus miles, which would put off a lot of private buyers.

The one I am looking at is a 1.6TDCi.
...The one I am looking at is a 1.6TDCi...

I thought the £19K broker price was bit cheap for a two litre with all the toys.

I wouldn't rule out a 1.8, there seems to be plenty about.

There's been some tosh on here about the 1.8 being an unrefined diesel, but in reality it's nearly as smooth and quiet as the others.

Certainly not something that would bother every driver, so worth having a go in one to see what you think.

If I play around on DtD I get a list of £24999 although I can't see the HID headlamps (are they in the X pack perhaps) ? But ticking the satnav which gives the climate control, rearview camera, phone etc, metallic and 17" wheels along with the x-pack brings the discounted price to £17882 with a £7100 discount.

So, if you were to forego the satnav or x-pack which will possibly be worth very little come resale then you might be able to get a new car for a similar price to the FD one ?

Got to be a good negotiating stance at the very least ?

25K for a 1.6D Focus, that's Golf GTi or low-end BMW 3-Series Money and I know which I'd prefer to drive.....
Yes, the xenon lights are in the X pack.

After threatening to cancel owing to the weekend keys fiasco, they have now offered a further £500 off the car, bringing it down to £14,500.

I agree that full list for these cars is frightening. Hopefully not many buyers are actually paying it. I've seen brand new, pre-reg 59 plate Focus Titanium 1.6TDCi models on offer from a main dealer for £14,000.
Good luck, play hard-ball, further playing around on DtD gives a list of an A3 1.6CR SE similarly specced (and the options are mightily expensive) at £1300 less than the Focus, the available discount is less of course but the list price of the Ford looks ludicrously high to me - will hurt company sales as drivers pay BIK on list price not the actual discounted price.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - dieselfitter
i_c, I agree with where you're coming from. For £14.5K, unless the Titanium X toys are really important to the OP, I'd rather be thinking about what that money would get me brand new from DtD. Today's high added-value extras are tomorrow's standard kit and count for next-to-nothing at re-sale time.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - loskie
Volvo dealers knocked off 20% without haggling last June for a V50(plus another £2k scrappage). Spoke to a few dealers around the country and there was a similar pattern.
Yes; list prices are ridiculous. Even more rediculous are those who will pay list price because the dealer tells them there is no discount.
Just get up off the chair and walk away. Make them work for their money.
I was keeping a close eye on the Ford Direct site in the later third of last year and their prices rose significantly.
In the end went for new as the price difference between new and a year old become 'not a lot'.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - TurboD
Going back to the original question of the OP. Ford so sell a vast amount of cars to renters, and guarantee the buy back figure for them so that the renter pays very little for their asset.
The salesmen will invariably lie when asked who owned the car before, I believe he would had he owned it himself as that is their training.
I bought an ex Avis Zetec Mondy 2l with 14K on the clock, you could see where the sticker had been! But the salesman did not know who had owned it and the V5 was 'at another branch', you could not make it up.
But I bought- 40% off 'list', and it has been perfect , so I cannot grumble. It's is the lying I loathe about salemen, I detest them for this.
Ford Direct cars: how likely to have been rentals? - The Melting Snowman
Unless you have proof otherwise, it is fairly safe to assume any car of about 12 months and 12000 is ex-rental.

People will debate until oblivion whether ex-rentals are good or not. I see how some of them get treated at work so am a bit less enthusiastic than others.
Quick update to this. I finally went to see the car yesterday and it was absolutely mint in every respect. It's only done 3,200 miles and is just over 7 months old, but if it has been a rental it's had some very careful drivers.

I went ahead and bought it, so in a week or so, the arrival of the V5C will reveal the truth.
What's on the number plates as plate maker??
My second FD Mondeo had Ford Motor Company Ltd on the plates and 7500 miles on the clock at 9 months old, its previous keeper was Ford Motor Company, whereas my first (ex rental) FD Mondeo had 13000 miles at 9 months old and some strange holding company as the first keeper - it was ex rental (from a Budget franchise in my town by coincidence) and I'm pretty sure that FD told me this or maybe I found something in the car. it didn't have any impact when I traded it for the second FD car that I can recall.

Nevertheless both cars were great and I'd still recommend FD, sounds like yours is an FMC car with such low mileage and high spec, I suppose it could have been a demonstrator of some kind ? Anyhow - I hope you enjoy it.
Dealer had swapped them out for plates with their own name on.

The only clue I can find to the car's former life is the destination history in the satnav - lots of places in and around Coventry.
Just to round this thread out, the V5C arrived this morning, with the vehicle's previous keeper shown as "Ford Motor Co Ltd, MRC Plan, Brentwood".

So assuming that "MRC plan" is not the division that lends out cars for motoring journalists to test, it all looks good.
MRC = Management Roll Car Plan.But it still depends on how the manager drives it.

Edited by jc2 on 12/02/2010 at 17:12