What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
three way swap advice - barneybear
High BR's - a little advice if you please?
SWMBO realy wants to have a new car. Current 06 Grand Espace 2.2 CDi Dynamique, 45,000 FRSH. We have loved this car. However we no longer really need a full 7-seat version so are looking at C4, new pug 5008 and Grand Sceinic. We know that p/e values will be poor but we have a plan. Our friends have a s-reg Espace, which they too like, but they can now get ours for whatever trade offer for it. In addition we also know another a couple with a P-reg 806 which is pretty abused, but runs. Plan is friend 1 has the 06 ESpace, friend 2 has the s-reg Espace, and I take the 806 as the P/E to offer against new or nearly new smaller 7-seater, possibly as scrappage.
is there anything I need to consider in this? I realise that scarpage means getting friends name on log book first, but I'm okay with that.
Unless of course anyone wants any of the above......
three way swap advice - bathtub tom
Only, as the owner of sixteen-year-old car, my heart weeps at the destruction of a viable motor, (even a damn French one).
three way swap advice - cheddar
>>I realise that scarpage means getting friends name on log book first, but I'm okay with that.
>>

Only worth doing that and being the secong keeper if you are going to be at least £1000 better off.
three way swap advice - adverse camber
I'm not sure this is good for the 806 owner?
why is the 806 owner worse off? - is it 'cos they are getting an Espace which to some = unreliable?. Both of my friends will be getting newer cars, which are reliable, and will be getting them at "garage p/e trade" price.
three way swap advice - AlastairW
But you wont be able to 'scrappage' the 806 cos you wont have owned it for 12 months.

Edit: Oops, I see you knew that already.

Edited by AlastairW on 19/01/2010 at 23:32

three way swap advice - ifithelps
Am I the only reader of this thread who doesn't understand who's getting what? :)
three way swap advice - b308
I just want to know when Bob, the Uncle, comes into the equation...

BB, it sounds ok but for the scappage comment, as I understand it you need to be the owner for 12 months to qualify... why don't you run it past the dealer, they might be able to match it without?
I thought it might confuse some. These friends are very good mates for years, and I'm well off enough to help them out (I've given cars away before when we have the money to do so and recently I bought the BiL a new Punto which has worked well as he has now just got a job in the wilds of Scotland. I digress...)
The deal ends with me taking the car with of the least "worth" to the dealer and two friends "improving" on the age/relaibaility of theirs at minimal cost.
It might work out that a dealer may offer better against a more relaible model, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Figures I guess will be something like:
A) New Car £15000 - which I pay to dealer less whatever I get for the 806, possibly £2000
B) 06 Espace £9000 - which my friends "1" pay to me less the value of theirs ie £6500
C) S-reg Espace £2500 - which the 806 family pay to me less what I get for theirs, so maybe only £500.
D) 806 £1500 or scrappage £2000.

Meeting up with 806 family this weekend to check what we can do, then speak with dealer. Also just seen new Mazda 5 coming out, but will have to wait for a while for diesel....
and I've broken my thumb, so test drives put on hold, 'cos I can't (hold that is!)
three way swap advice - s.v.u.
Just a thought but I understood that to qualify for the scrappage sceme you had to be the owner of the "scrapped" vehicle for the previous 12 months. Now whilst I can follow the details re everyone getting a better vehicle by the end of the exercise are you sure that you would be legal, would there not be an element of deception with this deal? I was thinking along the lines of obtaining goods by deception etc. I only mention this for your consideration, perhaps check this aspect out carefully before you commit yourself to anything. I mention this only as £1000 of the scrappage deal package would be coming from Mr Darling himself !
three way swap advice - ijws15
I would not want to sell a car to a friend unless they understood clearly that the car was sold as seen and I had NO responsibility whaever for faults after they got it AND they were a friend I would be happy to lose.

My father did once and regretted it.