What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Warranty Hassles - mark
Just back from the local VW dealers after one of the most frustrating mornings in a while.

Last week I went to the same dealer to buy an extended VW warranty for my Passat. Its a personal import and is now 15 months old.

For £660 I was able to buy a 2 yr unlimited mileage VW approved warranty. Bit steep but not too bad given the cost of a new turbo or whatever.

Went in today for 30k service and when the car came up I was informed there was a problem with the warranty. It appears that VW took 11 months to originally put the car on their system at MK and this I recall as I had to post a copy of the PDI book three times before they confirmed it was on. As a result none of the previous services carried out by the dealer had been entered and the warranty was refused because the car had not been serviced by VW. A quick rummage in the glovebox produced the receipts for which the dealer had no record and they updated the system.

Even after this there was still a warranty "problem". In the end they found the guy who sold me the warranty and he was told to phone VW to sort it out.

I was then told I could only have a 1yr warranty at a cost of £440 and that they would refund £220.

After a few minutes refelection and reading the warranty publicity booklet I asked to see a price list for the warranty and was told that that what VW have told us to charge £440, a bit of pushing and a price list was presented showing £440 is a two year and 60k warranty not a 1yr unlimited.

More questioning fell on deaf ears they stuck to the orders are orders line from VW. I was also told that personal imports can only have a two year max warranty which can only be bought before the cars first birthday. However approved imports can buy warranty protection for up to 5yrs. Now all the cars are built in the same places to the same standards why the discrimination with a personal import.

Now being naturally suspicious this doesnt seem to hang together.

Can any of you VW dealership experts shed any light on this for me.

as ever

Mark
VW Warranty Hassles - T Lucas
Save your money and teel them to stick their warranty 'where the sun dont shine'.
VW Warranty Hassles - Steve S
Yeah man, warranties are a right royal rip!

Warranty for VW never used to be necessary. What's happening in the world? We've got loads of posts with crap service & poor build allegations aimed VAG these days.

Merc are almost as bad, is this a reflection of the German economic record in recent years?

We're hearing good things about Ford though, with their own cars and the reliability they have brought to Jag & Aston. Mind you they have a ball breaking challenge in Land Rover!
Yep I was tempted to tell them where to put it but as mentioned on this site VWs do not appear to be that trouble free these days. I still have a strong feeling I have not been given correct information about the warranty or its price as the only £440 warranty listed was for 2yrs and 60k not for 1yr unlimited which was quite a bit less than I was charged. They were adamant I could only have 1 yr even though a two year option was listed on the price list I was shown.

I will probably be taking this up with VW UK but I,m hoping one of the VW dealership boys who drop in from time to time can shed some light on this. The extended warranty scheme as explained to me today definately discriminates against personal imports even if they are the same cars, serviced at the same dealers with the same parts to the same schedules (as mine has been) etc. Might be something worth following up as I would not have thought discrimination of this type was permitted.

lets see what happens

as ever

Mark
VW Warranty Hassles - Marcus
Mark,
HJ might take this up for you if you ask him nicely.

Another option would be to see if the European Commission would take some action. You can find them on the web and they have a special section who deal with unfair practice from motor manufacturers.

I had a problem with VW dealers in Ireland who threw every obstacle in my way in getting a car for export. A phone call to Brussels - ironically to an Irish lady - and within hours I was offered a car by VW Ireland.

Marcus
VW Warranty Hassles - T Lucas
Is the warranty being offered VWs own or a 3rd party insurance based product?if its the latter they really should be told to get the lube out and stick it.Service the car,save your warranty money.
Its a VW Approved warranty (nice brochure covered in VW logos etc) backed by AON warranties. As far as I know its the only aftersales warranty punted by VW UK.

The HJ or European route are of interest.

as ever

Mark
VW Warranty Hassles - mns
I dont think £660 is worth paying. I imported a golf GTI T just over 3 years ago, hence a 1 year warranty. No faults occured in years 2/3.

Big saving on the uk price and could have spent £2k+ on repairs without losing out.

Am I correct in thinking that all personal imports now come with a 2 yr warranty?

"Am I correct in thinking that all personal imports now come with a 2 yr warranty?"

I believe only from the EU. Some imports come from Cyprus etc.
I stand corrected!

Did I read that it is proposed legislation?