What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
'Like a Golf' advert - JamesH
I've seen the latest Golf advert a few times lately. The one where, in a variety of situations, other cars have some of their positive attributes as being 'like a Golf'. I think it's quite a clever idea. I must admit that there have been times I've described my Octavia as being a Golf GTI underneath. The ad must be liked by VW marketing for perpetuating the car's UK 'premium' image.

However, one of the parts of the ad has a supposed motoring TV presenter (who has a passing resemblance to Peter Kay) handbrake turning a car and describing it as handling like a Golf. Now the exterior shots of the car, though not revealing much, are of a BMW 1-Series, but I'm pretty sure the interior shots are of the latest Honda Civic.

I can't really make out the other cars in the ad. Do other manufacturers get bothered about having their cars featured as second-rate in other firm's ads? Most other makers use old models from their own range, perhaps with disguise.

James
Driver of an Octavia (Like a Golf, except for the price, practicality, dealer experience, ...)
'Like a Golf' advert - Avant
I know what you mean, James: the Golf is often the starting-point. I wanted a Golf GTI estate (or GTD to be exact) and would have had one if VW did them. The choice is Octavia or (for £6,000 extra with the same oily bits) Audi A4.
'Like a Golf' advert - AlanGowdy
Should have had a shot of a Golf being driven by someone trying to impress his passenger, with the line - "handles like a Focus"
'Like a Golf' advert - maz64
This one? www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVfO5zIBNvc
'Like a Golf' advert - redviper
The Police car near the telephone box, is a Vauxhall Astra

No suprise though really, as most town patrol cars are Vauxhall Astra's
'Like a Golf' advert - LikedDrivingOnce
I like the advert, and think that it gets its message across very well. i.e. that the Golf is the yardstick against which other cars in the same class are measured (though I would say that the yardstick should be the Ford Focus).

One point, though, that relates back to a thread a few days ago about a Kwik-Fit advert: The very first thing we see is in the advert is two children behaving badly while the mother does absolutely nothing about it.

It's funny really, the unruly child and "not bothered" parent are almost an advertising cliche, yet most of the parents I know and see about me are very good and responsible. Maybe it's just the circles that I move in, though I'd only describe myself as "comfortable working class". (With modest pride in that, but no chip on shoulder)

'Like a Golf' advert - Armstrong Sid
The Police car near the telephone box is a Vauxhall Astra
No suprise though really as most town patrol cars are Vauxhall Astra's

As an aside to that, is there any Police force in the UK which has used Golfs as police cars?
'Like a Golf' advert - alfatrike
not a uk force but still looks fun.

www.policecarmodels.com/ki119vwbepoc.html