What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - sir_hiss
We picked up a parking PCN a few weeks ago and I immediately wrote a nice long letter back to the company concerned stating numerous reasons why they should cancel the PCN. I also pointed out that I would like a reply within 10 days to ensure that, should I be unsuccesful, I can still pay the reduced charge within 14 days. So two weeks have now passed and not a hint of a reply and not even a phonecall, considering they have both work and home numbers. Now I won't mention names here but lets just say that this is not a small local firm we're talking about. So by appealing I've now lost out on the right to a reduced penalty simply because the company concerned cannot be bothered to reply. The letter was also sent by recorded delivery to the appeals address which, strangely enough, was not on the post office computer system. Par for the course or have I just been unlucky here ?
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - BobbyG
Without going into the specifics of your case, in Glasgow if you receieve a normal double yellow line type parking ticket, as long as you appeal within 2 weeks you will still qualify for the discount even if it takes several weeks for them to get back to you.
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - 1400ted
When you mention writing to the company issuing the PCN, was it a private cparking company policing a supermarket, shopping mall, etc ?
If so, this will be a Parking Charge Notice made to look official.
You do not have to pay You are in breach of contract.
Look at this website.
I have seen one of these firms off recently at no expense.

www.pepipoo.com/

good luck

Ted
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - Dwight Van Driver
What and where was the offence?

dvd
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - sir_hiss
PCN is "No valid payment" - Chippenham railway station car park. This place has two car parks run by the same company, one either side of the tracks. Parking is purchased in 24hr blocks and can be done electronically and in advance if you so wish. An electronic ticket was in place 15 mins prior to vehicle being 1st seen and 30 minutes prior to PCN being issued. This was done remotely via the internet using the RingGo website which the car park company use - wife rang to say she was running late for train could I sort out ticket. Only thing she forgot to tell me was which of the two car parks she was in! I got the wrong one...

Anyway, the points which I have brought the company up on are as follows :

1) There is nothing in the T&C's on display to say that if I move the vehicle into the other car park within the 24hr period then the ticket is not valid. Since parking is valid for 24hrs then this seems to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The car parks are not barrier controlled.

2) The RingGo website has a centralised number which I rang and correctly booked a legit parking ticket and have txt message + receipt to prove it. The T&C boards and certain parts of the website have a different number to call. Either

3) The RingGo system website was not updated with April 2009 onwards charges.

Since its possible to book in advance (ie get an electronic ticket in place before arrival) then what I did to get a ticket is not unreasonable. And since its only clear once you approacjh a T&C board by the ticket machine which car park you are actually in then its not unreasonable to end up in the wrong one.

So essentially I had a valid ticket for 24hrs for the wrong car park serving the same facility purchased electronically using one of several methods advertised by the car parking company at an lower price.

And I still get a PCN. Worth an appeal I think.
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - 1400ted
Seems to me that it is a Parking charge notice issued by a private parking company from what you say. If so, you have not committed any offence. You are purely in breach of contract with the company. Their only recourse is to sue you in the county court. This they will not do as they are not allowed by law to impose a penalty. They can only sue you for the money you owe them....maybe £1 or £2.

A further bonus is that they can only sue the person who parked the car......you do not have to tell them this or be in contact with them at all. If you do write to them do not sign your letter, print your name in capitals...they have been known to forge signatures.

These firms make most of their money from people who just roll over and pay. I don't think there's any point appealing ... If it's not police or council, ignore them. They send a few final demands and then give up. The last letter I got from the ones in my case just said ' We are now marking this as refused to pay'

Ted
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - Dwight Van Driver
From what statedf it looks like a contractual agreement relating to parking on private ground where the contract is between the DRIVER and the owner of the land. I am almost sure that the ticket will be headed PARKING CHARGE NOTICE and not PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE which is used by LA's etc who have decrimiminalised law on their side and who should not be ignored.

This can be confirmed by asking the Station BT Police or LA if there is an Off Street Parking Order in force. If non civil matter.

www.tinyurl.com/2hr37d

As stated if a civil matter then the authority issuing should direct their requiest for payment to the driver. A Reg Keeper is not obliged to divulge who the driver was.

As far as an Appeal goes with Private Companies it is a bit of a farce they just ignore and repeat demand for payment.

It would seem that verbal intercourse has taken place on this matter where identity of driver may have been disclosed to them which does not help matters giving them the lever should they so decide to take the matter to County Court..

dvd
Parking PCN - No response to appeal - FP
DVD, as usual, is spot-on.

There have been numerous posts on this topic and a forum search should bring these up, should anyone be interested.

The essential point to grasp is the difference between a Local Authority issuing a Penalty Charge Notice, by which an alleged parking infringement has attracted a legally enforceable fine and a Parking Charge Notice, by which a private company is attempting to get you to believe the same.

My advice would be to keep all correspondence, but make no further response. The worst that can happen is that you are subject to a further claim for an unpaid parking fee (and there could be various ways of disputing this, should it come to it), but there is little, if any, precedent in private parking companies taking individuals to court over such matters.