What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
99 1.4 Help- Intermittent engine cut out - Honesty
Hi there,
I have a Honda civic 1.4 , Manufactured in 1999.V reg. Recently the engine cut out whilst I was driving. It has happened on a few occassions now, and each time when the car is going very slowly( in 1st or 2nd gear), the accelerator doesnt work, and the engine turns itself off. There are no warning signs before the engine turns off, and sometimes it will restart straight away, and other times, I have to give it ten mins before it will start. I called the RAC, and they did a basic check on the car, and said he could't find a fault with it. The only thing he said was the alternator was 14.4,and that was high. Could that be the cause?Does anyone know what this problem could be?
Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
99 1.4 Help- Intermittent engine cut out - Woodspeed
Flag up your car (UK CIVIC) in car by car, and read the recall notice. There was a recall for Honda Civics, Accords, and others (and more of the coupe and 2 seaters worldwide) for an ignition switch fault. Can cause a stall. Bought my 99 1.8 vti in 2003 and found it had missed the recall. Job done.
But....... last week, it is being difficult to start. All the electrics work at the on position, but starter will not energise. Checked and no current getting through to solenoid. Bought a new switch, took off cowls, under half an hour to fit. Pull off old switch from key unit, remove multi pin connector - fit new. Yipee working again! Cost me under £50 but I do get a good discount! Seems better quaity than the old one.
Er, 14.4v is normal on a charging circuit running, about spot on in fact.
99 1.4 Help- Intermittent engine cut out - Honesty
Hi there
Thanks for message, it is a great help. I will go to the Honda dealer , as it seems with further research that this has happened with a lot of Hondas, and after the faulty ignition switch is repaired, it is fine. Is car by car a magazine, as am trying to find the recall notice in the UK by Honda, so i can tell them, and they won't quibble with me. It is dangerous though isn't it! especially if u are going fast, and someone is behind you.
Thanks for your help again