What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 1.8 Alternator NEEDS changing - NelSoN '71
Hi
I've changed an alternator on a VW Golf 94 a while back, with a haynes manual, but my dear mother in law has asked to sort her alternator out, and there is no manual with the car, hence my question.

Does anyone have a relatively good idea or diagram that they might share with me on how to do this? Its also a Diesel, which I believe means the alternator is a bit lower down and harder to get at.

Thanks to anyone who can help

98 1.8 Alternator NEEDS changing - Peter.N.
It should be fairly self explanitory when you look at it. You need to release the belt tension, unplug or unscrew the electrical connections then remove the bolts. The problem is that you cant always get at these items without some dismantling. Spend a few minutes looking at it with a bright light.
98 1.8 Alternator NEEDS changing - jc2
IIRC this alternator has bolt-on cables not a plug;if it has,you should therefore disconnect the battery first(got the radio code?).
Thanks for that.

The reason I came to find out about the alternator was because the fiesta had a flat battery (which I've now charged) but I haven't checked on the stereo, it's still the original one.

When i do the change I will of course disconnect the battery, and take a good look of whats connected on to it.

Thanks Peter .N

I'll crack on with it as soon as.