1997 1.7 Orange/rusty BMW coolant? - telecaster
I recentley changed and flushed coolant on said Beemer.

The cooland already in the system was a green color and as I collected the contents of system(most of it) it came out nice and clean with very little particles/ dirt.

When I went to motor factors for replacement cooland the guy checked up on his pc and recommended some "Car Plan" premium coolant which I assumed was the correct spec.

I drained and flushed the system making sure heater was set to hot , and I also drained the engine block and flushed thoroughly.

When I refilled the system with the red coolant, which I mixed 50/50 with the de-ionised water I was well happy.

Any way next day I checked the level in the expansion bottle and to my horror the coolant was an orange/rusty colour.....

Am a bit concerned , as In my previous Focus coolant was also a red colour and it stayed nice and red asnd clear.

Can someone allay my fears plz!
1997 1.7 Orange/rusty BMW coolant? - piston power
I expect you still had some of the old coolant in the block and matrix etc and they have mixed, also rust in the block may have come out too.
1997 1.7 Orange/rusty BMW coolant? - mjm
I changed the coolant in the Xantia, old out, change thermostat, refill with Halfords long life (lovely deep colour, red) Checked it the next day and that looked the same as yours. It looked the same when I changed it 5 years ago, rusty. When I drained the 5 year old stuff it came out clean, as yours did. The old thermostat was as clean and untarnished as when it went in.

It must be a product of the dilution.
1997 1.7 Orange/rusty BMW coolant? - telecaster
Happy ending here.....colour of coolant turned out to be an "optical illusion"

I drew some coolant from espansion tank with a syringe and put it in a clean glass.....turned out to be a lovely "cherry aid " red colour.

Am guessing the coolant looked brown due to the black top and "yellowed" white expansion bottle.

Never jump to conclusions I have learned from this.