What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
99 1.8 loss of power - Ralph
Hi,

A couple of weeks before Xmas i was on the M25 when i suddenly lost power, had my foot on the gas but the car just slowed and started lurching forward, managed to limp into a Services Car Park and call the AA. When the AA turned up i mentioned that my central locking had been unlocking itslef while i was driving and also the day before my radio had just turned itself off and wouldn't come back on for about 10mins, he put a jumplead on and the car started first time, he said i had a 'bad earth' and that it wouldn't be expensive to have it repaired.

Got in touch with a mechanic who was a 'friend of a friend', he fitted a new earth cable for me for £90(cable was £30), drove the car home on saturday night and the central locking still unlocked itself, drove the car on Sunday morning and once again lost power, kept my foot on the gas and it kicked back in after about 5secs of lurching.

As the problem hasn't been fixed by fitting a new earth cable, i was wondering if anyone else had heard of this problem or has any thoughts on what it might be?

Cheers guys.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/01/2009 at 20:19

99 1.8 Loss of Power - Ralph
Something else i forgot to mention, when the mechanic fixed the new earth cable he said the old one snapped when he removed it and i also had a broken earth bolt, which he fixed.