What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - audiA6tdi
Hi
My girlfriends mother has a 1999 Mercedes 320Sl. It has the matching hardtop which has rust bubbles on both sides. The car has been owned from new and has spent most of its life in a warm garage. The car has only done 14500 miles and on both sides of the hardtop there are small rust bubbles about the size of a 1p piece. I know Mercerdes had some build quality issues around this time but does anyone know the paintwork warranty on these cars? I took the car to have the hardtop resprayed at a local paintshop and they advised to talk to mercedes as they had a similar case on a 1999 S class and the customer complained to mercedes on several occasions and in the end they aggreed to respray the car.
Thanks
Dave
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - bbroomlea{P}
I am in a dispute case with Audi over rust on my 2002 A4. So far things are not going well as they are coming up with every excuse possible.

You have to bear in mind the car is 10 years old and steel will eventually return to a pile of dust given long enough. When would Mercedes draw the line on where they would or wouldnt repair.

Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - gordonbennet
I hope the paintwork hasn't already been touched other than by a MB approved bodyshop, at all.

Basically, if the vehicle has a full MB service history, and the body issues are from inside and not the result of untreated stone chips or other scratches, then if you approach your local MB dealer, they should take the issue up.

Every case will be judged on its merits, and to be fair, the SL is probably the best of the lot body wise in my humble, it was the flagship model.

If the car has been serviced by independents, then its still worth trying due to the very low mileage, but obviously the chances are reduced.
No harm in asking.
It has full Merc dealer history from the garage that supplied it (main dealer).
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - gordonbennet
It has full Merc dealer history from the garage that supplied it (main dealer).

If its had no previous paintwork repairs then and the rust patches are not neglected damage of one sort or another, i would be very surprised if they reject the claim.

Do let us know how you get on.
there are no 'chips' on the hardtop where the rust is. the paintwork is all intact but has bubbled from underneath.
its quite annoying that on a £65k car that has spent most of its time in a fairly warm garage to have rust on it!
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - L'escargot
The car ............. has spent
most of its life in a warm garage.

This may have contributed to the problem. Every time the car was put in the garage wet it may not have dried for ages. Also, if the garage is warm it may dry the car but the humidity level of the air will be high. I always keep my car in the garage when it's not being used, but I have a dehumidifier to make sure the car dries as quickly as possible, and the humidity stays low.

Edited by L'escargot on 03/09/2008 at 08:48

Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - pete&hisgolf
Without wishing to hijack the thread, can I just ask: in terms of rust prevention is it better for a car to be kept in or out of a garage (assuming the owner doesn't have a dehumidifier)?
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - legacylad
In the days when I could get my car in the garage, when wet I always left the garage up & over door open until I went to bed/out to the pub.
Funny old world.
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - Roger Jones
Before I bought my MB W126 three years ago, I test drove eight others. The one with worst bodywork had always been kept in a garage.
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - Altea Ego
Very few garages provide a sufficient level of ventilation to ensure a car dries out properly.
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - madf
We have always kept our cars garaged.
And we have had no rust issues. (or no more than normal with the cars we drive)
BUT, there are gaps around the up and over doors , the (insulated) house heating pipes run through the garage and it is rather larger than normal (20mx7m)

Having sidi that cars can be wet in it for days so it is not that well ventilated.

dont know if this matters but its a four car garage with only the merc in it so not confined to a small space.
Its on its 3rd battery - thats how little the beauty gets used! im hoping to buy it off her one day, a lovely car.
Paintwork/rust on 1999 Merc Sl - Mapmaker
but I have a dehumidifier to make sure the car dries as quickly as possible,

What is the valuable and expensive car you drive, escargot?