What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 TDCi How many keys should there be? - melstin
When I collected my 05 Fiesta TDci last Friday from my local Ford dealer, I noticed that the 2nd of the 2 keys they gave me belongs to another vehicle. This despite charging me a fee a so called "multipoint check".

I immediately told the salesman, who suggested I call during the week so that they can make another copy. The only key I have is the one which is containing the remote fob.

Some people say that all the Fiesta should come with 3 keys, to include a red one. Can anyone confirm that?

And where do I stand? Should I be compensated for my expenses ( time off work, CC, fuel)?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/08/2008 at 19:46

Ford Fiesta Keys - DP
On the early Ford transponder immobiliser systems, you needed a red master key to program new keys to the car. This was ditched about 10 years ago for a system which requires two functioning keys to program a new key to the car. There is no red master key any more.

My understanding is that a new Ford will come with two fully functional keys which open and start the car, and one "emergency" key which only opens it.

Cheers
DP
Ford Fiesta Keys - Red Van Man
Your Fiesta had two keys when new, the emergency key was ditched at some point prior to 2002 model change.

If I were you as soon as you have the second key from the dealer, purchase and activate a third key that way you will allways have two!

Edited by Red Van Man on 04/08/2008 at 20:09

Ford Fiesta Keys - whoopwhoop
Car comes with one remote key and one non-remote key.

Only exception is high-end models (Ghia etc) which come with 2 remote keys.

New keys can be programmed without needing *any* other keys but there is a long winded process to prove ownership.
Ford Fiesta Keys - jc2
The high-end ones come with two remotes because the alarm/double locking on current top end Ford models can only be set using the remote.The locks in the doors are just that-locks.