Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - tunacat
?99 Mondeo 2.0 petrol estate.
Paid £1150 for it 3 years ago with 91k miles on it. Now showing 118k. Not a huge annual mileage I know, but during that period that?s just the same mileage I would have done had it been a brand new car.
Everything from 2 miles to the shops, to 1500 miles in a week on holiday. And it's been totally abused: Apart from one oil and filter change when I first got it, it's had ZERO servicing. Been washed 3 times. But it's never let me down or refused to start. One day it did begin underperforming - running on 3 cylinders, but still got us home fine. Needed a new coilpack and plugleads - diagnosed, supplied, and fitted the same day for £75 all-in after I dropped it at a local garage without prior appointment. Also had the power steering fluid cooler pipe replaced after it developed a pinhole leak. That was about £130 all-in. Probably wouldn't have bothered with that job except my driveway was getting a bit stained...

And that's it.

As for consumables, it's gradually had 4 new tyres as the originals wore out (£35 each), 2 sets of front pads and 1pair of discs. No exhaust sections. Never bothered changing the cambelt.
All I've done is drop it in for MOT each year. Had to have a brake pipe replaced one time, but that?s pretty-much a ?consumable? regards MOTs these days?

It accelerates embarrassingly briskly, has done 120mph when called upon, but if kept to no more than 80 will return 42 mpg on a run (no fluke - achieved repeatedly), which I reckon isn't bad at all considering what people get from non-VAG diesel vehicles of similar size.

It's reasonably refined and quiet, rides comfortably, handles well, accommodates spouse and 3 kids and plenty of luggage including a baby's accoutrements, and in its time it's also (internally) transported such things as a fridge-freezer, a bath, rolls of lino and carpet, and a (fully-built) wardrobe.

It?s pre-2001, so (currently) isn't about to see a doubling of the price of a tax disc!

It's hard to think of another vehicle which would have had this breadth of attributes but would have cost so little overall to run. And it's still going. To the extent that if the clutch goes, I'd have half a mind to spend the 500 quid to put a new one in.

From time to time I hanker after a mk2 Octavia or a 2001-on Mondeo. I can afford one, but especially when I read about the kind of problems encountered on the likes of even new examples of the just-superseded Laguna, I end up failing to find a convincing justification. At the moment, my shed is doing everything I need it to, and costing peanuts to do it.

Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Niallster
Nowt wrong with either a Bangernomics thread or a Mondeo thread on this forum.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Saltrampen
The problem is that you could go out and buy a car like the above and get years of cheap motoring or you could buy a similar looking model that chucks out black smoke and needs new engine after 3 months. Problem is everyone wants CD players and Aircon these days, so that rules out many pre 2001 cars...then some are concerned about style as well.
My Mate has a late 90's Tddi Mondeo which seems to accept a certain level of cooking oil with no running problems - you couldn't do that in a modern one.

Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - jonno
To add to the chorus of approval - I picked up a low mileage 1 owner, '99 hatchback, 1.8 LX for £1000 earlier this year, mint condition inside and out, not a spot of rust anywhere, had clearly been looked after by its owner. Ran beautifully but it was in need of a service so I changed the oil, coolant, and every filter for under £75 and a couple of afternoons. Really pleased with it, it's great to drive and comfortable, as quick as I want it to be, and economical too, averaging 37mpg over several tankfills which is pretty good for mostly town driving. Great car, amazing value for money these days.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Whisky
if the clutch goes I'd have half a mind to spend the 500
quid to put a new one in.

For the sake of £25 and considering its nearly done 30k since you have got it, I would personally give it an oil change.

Only my opinion though ;-)
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - MondeoMonkeyMagic
seeing as everyone else is confessing father...I bought a Mk1 1996 1.8TD (GLX don't you know) for £300 in Feb this year, hoping to jump on the veggie oil band wagon (but it has the Lucas CAV pump not Bosch - oops). Put it in for a new MOT and it cost me £80 for new brake pipes and some rubber bushes plus the MOT cost £50. Changed the cam belt which cost £65 from a FORD garage because my best man at my wedding works there (£50 for his new born's CTF sorted out the labour) and that's it (well had to tax it for £185 too I suppose).

Need to use my golf umbrella to hold up the tailgate as the struts are past their sell by date, have my best shagpile off cuts in both front footwells and bailing twine pulls the parcel shelf up, but equally I don't fret when I hear the kids playing football outside (there are several ball prints on it). Plus it returned 55 mpg on a 300 mile trip doing 60-65mph and have managed to recycle 4 separate wheel trims from the roadside so it looks semi decent from a distance. And I love it, that the best part. Have friends who scoff, but they pay £300 a month for their repayments on their (admittedly gorgeous) RX-8. Everything works (front e/w, e/m, heated front screen, manual tilt and slide sunroof), you can tell how proud I am to own BOB (SWMBO calls it BOB, short for Bag of B*llocks). It costs the first owner £14,250 and I paid 2% of that. Will need 2 new tyres (£60) come the winter and possibly a new battery as I have flattened it twice, although it starts well enough in the ambient summer weather. Need to attend to the frilly rear wheel arches but will have fun painting it with hammerite and making a balls of it and not getting too over concerned. Here's hoping I can hang onto BOB for many years to come
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - oldnotbold
I bought a 94M 405 TD estate from another Backroomer - well his MiL to be precise. It came with £35 of fuel, and £100 of VED and the driver's window had failed, down, on the day I arrived for it, so I paid £100 less, £400 in total, so about £265 net.

Needed new pads for the MoT in April, and the flexi brakes hoses were flagged, but not failed, but I had them done, and new boots all round. £300 in total, but as above, that's one month's payments for many. I've changed the oil once, and will do it again soon using ?7/5l oil from Carrefour Calais.

I've done 7,000 miles in it since mid Dec 07, and it's now running on 40p/litre waste veg oil. Needs some derv with it in winter, though.

And the window - got it home, cut a length of 22mm plastic pipe, and cut a notch in one end. Window now propped shut!
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - DuncanSuperb
Given the all the recent debate around rising fuel prices, VED etc etc. I can see bangernomics threads becoming ever more common on the BR..... and personally I always enjoy reading them and hearing others ideas.

I'm pretty pleased with my V reg Octavia 2.0 GLX bought earlier this year. After a full service, new cambelt, wiper rods and starter motor the whole caboodle cost about £1800 for a car that had only done 50k. At the time I thought that was ok money but looking around now we have defo entered a buyers market, except of course you can't always mitigate against all the risk.

Anyway enough about me.

I'm wondering what other BRers think are going to be the most likely bangernomics candidates of the future. I'd suggest that the top models today are Mondeos, 406 and Primera (family category) and perhaps Fiestas and Nova and Micra (Supermini bracket). Any thoughts?
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - 659FBE
Probably the most important criteria for a sucessful bangernomic are:

Freedom from rust - galvanised cars have been around for long enough to be cheap. Why buy any other sort?

Diesel engine - we are at the bottom of the depreciation curve so you might as well have the cheapest engine to run.

Good fuel system - a major failure here scuppers the whole job. My preference is for a Bosch system, either pre-common rail or PD.

Spares availability - pattern or second hand of course. A high European market penetration is very desirable to achieve this. This also gives plenty of available "know how" in the event of a difficult fault. The Internet is your friend here.

Utility - A saloon without folding seats or a 2 seater will not earn any bangernomics points.

Adding this lot together, my preference is for VAG - as long as you're handy with a multimeter to keep the non essential electrical systems sort of working.

Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - dsuk
Just to add my experience to the thread. Purchased a 1999 Skoda Octavia 1.6 (with the old Mk3 8 valve Golf engine) in October 1995 for £1500 from a dealer, it had covered 72,000 miles then. It now has 170,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong.

Its had an exhaust, 2 sets of tyres, an alternator (could have probably got away with just changing brushes but was caught out away from home) and a cambelt change. Add to that about 6 oil changes and 4 air filters and a couple of sets of plugs, it really has not cost a lot to run. It always averages about 45mpg as well.

Yes its a basic model with less creature comforts to go wrong but it is built so well. The cabin is rattle free still after all the miles it has covered.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - skorpio
I bought a 2000 x reg 1.8 estate in Juice Green just before our first child was born in Dec 04. I can honestly say it was the best car i'd driven. Comfy, big, reasonably economical on a run and it never once let me down. Had new tyres, and brakes and I just did my own oil & filter changes.

The only reason we parted company was because one morning the wife decided to introduce the car to a Volvo estate whilst pulling out of our drive. Trouble is the Volvo belonged to the local constabulary. Ouch!

Got a good price from the insurance co despite the dents and scratches and over 100k on the clock. It had no leaks, was a tight as a drum and was a brilliant car. Wish I still had it...sniff.

Pass the kleenex someone.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - MichaelR
In terms of zero hassling motoring my Mk2 Mondeo is the best car I have ever owned and is likely to remian that way for some time given the way my car tastes are developing.

I bought it in February 2004 at 4 years old with 110k miles on it, fully loaded (Electric leather, etc etc). I replaced it with the 5 Series in September 2006 with it showing 143k miles but it's still in regular use in the family and is now on 153k miles.

Therefore, in the last 4 years and 43k miles, the car has needed the following:

4x Oil Changes @ £20
2x Wishbones @ £55 fitted each
1x Coilpack fitted myself at £25 and 3 minutes labour.

Other than that, nothing bar tyres. And it passes every single MOT.

Amazing car in terms of reliability.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - ifithelps
Best bangers seem to wear the blue oval.

Confirms what I've always thought, you can't beat a Ford for real world use.

Bonus is these days most of then handle and perform well, too.

Would a BMW or even VW Group car take the sort of neglect/abuse described in this thread?

I doubt it.

Edited by ifithelps on 16/07/2008 at 20:47

Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Alby Back
My Mondeo diesel is six years old. It has well north of 150k on it. It doesn't bang at all. in fact it sounds pretty much as it did when new. Which is perhaps not surprising as apart from the consumable items all of its parts are the same ones which were fitted when it was new. To call it a banger would be unkind. It still drives very well, has no squeaks or rattles and the bodywork is in excellent order. Never had any work other than routine servicing. Banger ? Not yet anyway !
I think the purchase price/cars's present value has to be £999 or less to qualify as a banger, and in all reality, true bangernomics starts a bit lower than that, probably around the £500 mark.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - davidh
Whenever bangernomics comes up, we always have a list of comments that go along the lines of "I bought my car for the price of a pickled egg and its only cost me 2 farthings to run over the last 5 years"

I would venture to suggest that you all were either lucky or very fastidious.

Its surely not about how cheap you've managed to coax one particular car along for but a question of making the "right" financial decisions about a car at the "right" time over an extended period. When to bale out or not and buy another cheap car.

I dont think you can discount "luck" (dont like the work luck) which seems to be quite a large factor imho.

I could go out tomorrow with 500 quid, pick a decent car, crawl all over it and check it as much as possible and still be saddled/left with a 700 quid MOT bill evry year no problem. Not a very cheap do.

Well done to all who have had cheap motoring but lets see evidence of skill and judgement please citing examples of cars owned and ditching points.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/07/2008 at 01:37

DD - there's not much luck involved in picking a model that's known for reliability and low cost-to-fix, and then finding the best example for the budget.

{I think you mean davidh. All I did was edit his post as one of his words tripped the swearfilter}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/07/2008 at 01:30

Thats shrewd, wise buying - do denying that but its also assuming it lasts forever. It wont. There will be a point where you have to get shut. Bangernomics is only going to get harder to do as complexity of the average car increases.

I just want to see examples of avoiding big bills from people, not just examples of not actually getting any big bills because it hasnt happened yet!

Any one change a car in the nick of time? Change a car every six months? Buy that banger from a foriegn guy in a pub for 75 quid?

I dont actually think its "beating the system" bangernomics style by running a cheap car and doing sundry repairs.
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Manwithaplan
92K Toyota Corolla 1.3 112000 miles when purchased.

Paid £150 for it Jan 07, 6 weeks MOT to run, 3 months tax and a new set of wheeltrims!

Various dents from myopic previous owner but no, and I mean no rust. Recon engine 5000 miles previously.

Has passed two MOTs with no work needed. Tyres will need doing soon though.

Runs brilliantly and averages 40mpg, summer and winter, town and country driving.

02 sensor needed replacing due to duff batch of petrol from a major supermarket chain, they paid for this.

However it's so reliable it's boring! Nothing ever goes wrong.
Most bangernomics drivers use the car until it expires, rather than sell it as a runner. I sold a Tipo because it had an overfueling problem that was not curable within a realistic budget, but the rest have gone on until they fall.

And how would you know that you had sold just in the nick of time, unless the buyer appears on your doorstep 48 hrs later saying "About that car you sold me...."?
Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - tunacat
Davidh, you said:
"it's also assuming it lasts forever. It wont. There will be a point where you have to get shut."
and
"I just want to see examples of avoiding big bills from people, not just examples of not actually getting any big bills because it hasnt happened yet!"

Eh?!?!!!

Dsuk has covered 98k miles in his Octavia 1.6 bought for £1500, and the only non-consumable/regular service item it's had is an alternator.

For the vast majority of private buyers, 100k miles is still pretty much considered the 'life' of a car. Most non-business users would have 'got shut' of a car they bought new or nearly-new long before even having done this sort of mileage.

So Dsuk has already had a 'car life' out of his Skoda.
Even though it's "still going strong", he could choose to get shut of it now, and it's cost him £1500 + an alternator.

If it requires a major bill on it tomorrow, he can just scrap it, and it's still only cost him the above amount.

Your example of a £500 car that requires £700 to get through its first MOT - assuming it had a fresh cert when you bought it, that's £500 for a year's motoring, and you can choose whether or not to bail out at that point. Still rather less than a £300 a month lease!

If we're going to talk about 'luck', then just as you can have good luck with a cheap/old car, you can have bad luck with an expensive/new one.
'Car' magazine have had to have a replacement gearbox on the new BMW MINI they're running, and they haven't had it long. But for the warranty, that would have cost them £4000.

If Dsuk had bought a brand new car and done 100k miles and hadn't YET had a major bill, would that too be luck? Perhaps not. Perhaps that should be a reasonable expectation. But the comfort of possessing that expectation would *already* have cost him a lot of money.

Oh no, not another bangernomics post! - Mapmaker
>>The problem is that you could go out and buy a car like the above and get years of
>>cheap motoring or you could buy a similar looking model that chucks out black
>>smoke and needs new engine after 3 months.

The problem ACTUALLY is that you could go out and buy a £10k car unlike the above and get years of motoring, or you could buy a similar looking model that soon chucks out black smoke and needs 8k of new engine after 3 months.

In one case the car goes on eBay and you get £250 for it. In the other case you are absolutely lay-shafted.

When your car only costs you a few hundred quid, it doesn't matter if it dies.
There are very good reasons not to run a bangernomic car:

1. Your wife is unimpressed by it.
2. You are a badge snob.
3. You are a numberplate snob and need a new plate annually.
4. Your neighbours would think you poor.
5. You like the smell of new cars.
6. You can afford it.
7. Somebody else pays.

Equally there are bad reasons not to run a bangernomic car:

1. You think that older cars are unreliable - no more so than new ones.
2. You anticipate a big bill - hey write it off!

When you can buy a 3 year old Mondeo for 3k, and a 5 year old one for 1k, or a 9 year old Audi A6 2.8 quattro V6 for £500.what in God's earth is the point in spending £12k (or whatever) on a new Mondeo or 40k on a new Audi?
Number 8 - You want the latest technology and safety

Can you tell me why old cars will no less reliable?

Surely as time marches on, a 50,000 pound 750i becomes a 500 quid bombsite car - it doesnt suddenly aquire the complexity of a knife and fork does it just because its 500 quid?

Yes you can be very unfirtunate with a new car, but for pitys sake, and older comparable car will statistically be more unreliable as it ages. If it wont be then, can you tell me why not?

Number 8 - You want the latest technology and safety

Yes, I had that one in at no 5. When 5-year-old cars cost under £1,000 they're perfectly possibly the same model as the current one! So the only benefit is the smell. Mmmmmm
Yes you can be very unfirtunate with a new car but for pitys sake and
older comparable car will statistically be more unreliable as it ages.

The problem is, the statistical difference on a maintained car is small. The difference between the five-year-old and the new Mondeo is likely to be tiny. And you're not driving a statistical car; you are driving a real car. If it's a lemon and cost you £40k, you'll keep throwing money at it. If it cost you £1,000 you won't.

You can come up with as many reasons as you like, but they all come under reason 5 - you want one because you can afford it (or the bank will lend you money) and you like the status that comes with it.