What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1997 1.3 Endura - Low speed noise - drive shaft? - Rattle
My car has been making a sort of scraping sound at low speed as if the pads needed replacing. I had all the pads replaced (these needed doing anyway), got the front wishbones replaced as they were about to drop off. However the problem still persists and is getting worse.

The problem is very noticeable at low speeds it is almost a grinding sound, it is not the brakes.

My mechanic has heared but sods law meant that it wasn't evident then!. He suggested it could be to with the gearbox but it dosn't really seem to be any specific gear and its only low speed.

I am thinking drive shaft or gearbox problem? Any ideas? The car is driving normally.
1997 1.3 Endura - Low speed noise - drive shaft? - Roland T
Could it be one of the C.V. joints?
Are the boots in good condition? Even if they are this could still be the problem but more likely if they're perished and and salty road dirt has got in though a split.
1997 1.3 Endura - Low speed noise - drive shaft? - Rich320d
Fiesta's do make quite a bit of gearbox noise, especially in the lower gears, as does the clutch bearing. I've driven a few of this age and they all do it.

The clutch bearing rumble goes if you dip the clutch pedal.
1997 1.3 Endura - Low speed noise - drive shaft? - DP
I agree with Rich. Our old mk4 was noisy in both neutral with clutch pedal released, and first, but they all are.

Cheers
DP
1997 1.3 Endura - Low speed noise - drive shaft? - jc2
Idler gear rattle-but that is not what the OP was talking about.

Edited by jc2 on 10/04/2008 at 16:43