What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Private plate transferring - smoke
After the fiasco with the last S Type purchase, I have finally found the S type at the right price. Only issue is that the car has a private plate on it which is coming off and the car is going back onto its original plate. I am collecting the car this Saturday, but I am unsure of how the transfer of plate occurs. Does all V5 etc etc go off to DVLA for them to reissue a new V5 to the old owner who then has to forward this to me? Or do I get the new V5 directly. Plus when i collect the car do i insure it on the current registration plate, and then change this back to the original when the private plate goes on retention.
I am confused.
many thanks for help as always
smoke
Private plate transferring - Paul I
Right first off the owner hasn't followed the correct protocol which is he/she should have done the following

A. (if car reg was applied new) Current owner to request DVLA to put this number on retention. It then get's issued with a new number say AA06AAA for example

B. (if car reg with AA06AA for example when ne and moved to G000BOF for example new) Current owner to request DVLA to put this number (G0) on retention. It then get's issued with a more than likely it's old number.

I Suggest you get the owner down to the local DVLA office sharpish you probably wont get the correct paywork till this time next week. This should all be done before sale!!

Doing it any other way leads you liable to becoming multiple owners on the reg document and slows the process down and will be more costly

Private plate transferring - ijws15
What has probably happened is that the paperwork has been done but the dealer has not changed the plates yet (if you had your own personal plate they would have wasted their money) , the previous owner will have committed to the DVLA that they would change the plates. It should get an "age related" number.

If not then the car is still registered on the private plate and as it is no longer registered to the previous keeper then they have lost all rights to it. The garage could transfer it if they wished to do so but only the registered keeper can do this. If the garage don't do anything then the car comes with the private plate which may have a value!

You should not need to do anything - just check the position with the garage. They should have something with the "new" number on it and when DVLA send you the new V5 it will show this number on it.

Changing reg. number does not change the number of owners.

Edited by ijws15 on 17/01/2008 at 08:53

Private plate transferring - smoke
The paperwork seems to be in progress. The dealer who has the car, has said i should take the car insuring it with the current registration plate, and then when the new reg is assigned, to transfer the insurance to this. By the looks of it the V5 documentations are all with the DVLA so i will have none of this on day of collection awaitng reassignment of the plate, and the dealer has said this will go back to the original owner, and they will collect it off him and send it to me.
(As an aside the dealer has been very open and honest throught the deal, i have had all the paperwork of the car to look at, and will be given ALL the old service documents, i was given a copy of the HPi check etc etc to take with me and there was no pressure during the process).