What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
(02-06) Damaged key - Wenlock
Has anyone else had a problem with the ignition key breaking apart ? I have tended to use just one key for the two years that I have had the car from new. The plastic body has split where the metal shaft enters it. My local dealer has contacted Honda UK for a warranty claim and this has been rejected, they reckon I have damaged the key by turning it too hard in the ignition. I think this is rubbish. A new key costs £202 !
My view is that the key is not fit for purpose, what can I do ? Can anyone advise ?

Wenlock

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/12/2007 at 17:51

Damaged key - oilrag
I would try to `re-pot` the key with epoxy adhesive and use the other one, keeping the original as spare.

Regards
Damaged key - Wenlock
Thanks for that oilrag. I am a bit of a dab hand with the old araldite, however I still think the key should be replaced under warranty therefore I will keep the epoxy fix in the back pocket for now (messy) .
When I have had a good think about it I will contact Honda UK's customer helpline and see what they say.

Wenlock
Damaged key - Aprilia
'Turning too hard' seems a bit far-fetched to me (unless you are built like Giant Haystacks).

I would push really hard for a replacement - kind of thing a small case court claim might work for. I can't see the judge buying the turned too hard argument....
Damaged key - Wenlock
Issue of damaged key now resolved. Took advice from Honest John and spoke on phone to Honda customer service in a pleasant and non aggressive manner.
Started by saying what a good car it was (true) and what great service it had given for two years ( true). A reassessment of the case was made and ..yes new key to be provided free of charge !!
I reckon that they rely on the company car drivers to just cave in on paltry sums like £200 for a key. As a private motorist I cannot afford unexpected costs such as this.
Had they not provided a new key I would have epoxy resined the old one as mentioned

Merry Christmas to all my readers.

Wenlock
Damaged key - Carrow
That's a great result! Having worked in main dealers myself I always told irrate customers to contact customer services directly (but told them not to say that I told them to!). Nearly always got a result.