What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Statistical outlier
The other day, while in DIY hell, I had to do several short (2 mile) runs from cold. On the 3rd of 4, the car didn't feel like it was pulling properly. Then, on a roundabout just before the end of the journey, it didn't pull at all off the roundabout. 2k rpm in 2nd and pretty much nothing.

On the way back it was absolutely fine. It's been absolutely fine since, pulls like a train. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might have been? Should I worry, given there's 35k miles left on the warranty?
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Manatee
FWIW - there has been a TSB on the i-ctdi engine (dependent on chassis number) and dealers will fit affected cars with a modified EGR valve. The symptom of the possible problem with affected cars is, I was told, hesitation. I have not had this symptom but the dealer volunteered this information and replaced the valve.

Edited by Manatee on 11/12/2007 at 20:56

The car left me stranded for an hour at Stansted last night - wouldn't pull at all, nearly got me rear-ended on the main roundabout. Not good.

After trying to get through to someone for nearly an hour, they are going to look at it Monday. AA rekon it is the EGR tho - good call Manatee! If it is, Honda will get a very stiff complaint as it was only in for a service about 5-6 weeks ago.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Snakey
Does this also affect the Civic with the 2.2 CDTi engine? My folks have one and its due a service so it might be worth mentioning it for a checkup.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Quicksilver
My 2004 Tourer did this occasionally when new but did not do it at all after 2k miles.
However, I had similar problems at 57k miles when trying to accelerate quickly. This turned out to be a faulty Injection pump, (Bosch and ~ GBP1200 to replace under warranty).

I suggest you get the dealer to look very carefully as you do not want the pump to fail out of warranty.

Q.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Pendlebury
Could you guys follow up on the thread in the discussion forum please on Accord Tourer Warranty repairs - once you have had the work carried out to see if you suffered the same problem as the OP.
You are perfectly placed at the moment to contribute to the thread and I would be cery interested in your experiences.
Thanks in advance
A local dealer has replaced the fuel filter and doesn't appear to have made any diagnostic effort at all, beyond looking for error codes (which I could have told them would be absent as no warning lights came on). Not impressed.

Am writing to Honda to complain about their dealers generally, have had disastrous experiences. In the meantime, hopefully I'll be proved wrong and there will be no more problems.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - makg
I have just had a fuel pump failure on an 04 2.2 i-cdti. It has just covered 100,000 motorway miles, but has been serviced with Honda from new.
Car has been slow to start when warm, but when checked by local Honda dealer 8 weeks ago, they found no fault showing, including pump pressure. They did at first state that they have had several i-ctdi Accords recently that have had fuel pump replacements. With the car just out of warranty, the local Honda dealer says that Honda UK will not make any payment towards the repair. Surely there must be some recourse here, as this is an obvious design fault?
iCDTi one off hesitancy - nortones2
I think that a few have been replaced: tinyurl.com/28htto If you contact Honda CS, they might be more helpful?
Makg, did the car throw up any error codes when it played up? Mine has just been refusing to rev when the AA had a fault code reader plugged in, and wasn't showing any beyond 'misfire'. Very worrying. I am putting the stack of fuel receipts for the last 5000 miles somewhere safe in case there is any argument about fuelling..
One other thing. The AA guy agreed with me that it appears to be something to do with the exhaust gasses - there's no apparent spinning up of the turbo, and the whole thing seems very choked. Any indication of what the problem might be?
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Screwloose
Gordon

I've got precisely nothing in the way of useful data on this engine; but one thought has just crossed my mind. Does it have a butterfly valve on the entry to the inlet manifold? [Ask the tech when you brief him on the fault.]

These vacuum-operated "dozer valves" are getting quite popular as a means to damp the final, truck-like, shudder as large diesel engines stop - they are also liable to stick shut....
Feedback from Honda is that it was the EGR valve sticking open. Should now be sorted, has been fine so far, I'll let you know in a month (or sooner if it fails again).

Gord.
Okay, looking for some pointers to fuel discussion with dealer.

For full details of the story up to today, there is a long thread in the discussion section.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=58...5

Needless to say, while a thorough cleaning of the EGR valve improved things considerably, the car was still ver hesitant and acted like it was at high altitude ? lots of turbo lag, no real boost below 2.5k, but normal power when on boost. This was pretty consistant until it cleared up after about 1500 miles, 300 miles before it went back into the dealer behaving itself perfectly.

Filled the tank from about 10 litres and the hesitancy came back for about 60 miles. Today I?ve tried to start the car and it fires, only runs on two cylinders for a couple of seconds, then dies with lots of black smoke out the back. Clearly this isn?t good, and I?m going to get the AA to recover it to the dealer.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what we should be looking for? The dealer seems stumped, and this is starting to be a real issue for me ? I?ve missed out on a potentially important demo to a customer today, and in a start-up company that?s no joking matter.

All thoughts appreciated.

G

Edited by Gordon M on 01/02/2008 at 15:22

iCDTi one off hesitancy - nortones2
Poster i-Ctdi on this forum: tinyurl.com/2gde3r has something of a similar problem. Turbo?
iCDTi one off hesitancy - cheddar
Did you try running with the filler cap a little loose to rule out a venting issue?
Never got the chance, this was the next time I tried to start it up.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - rtj70
Bad news for you. In case of future problems that are unforseen with any vehicle can you not hire a car to avoid loss of business? And look into lead times etc. before then.

One reason I've stayed on the company scheme is the hastle factor. I've got hire depots opened late at night and taxied to there to collect cars before now. It's one thing not paying for hire cars when they are needed for personal reasons at the weekend but another when a closed depot can be opened out of hours for you.

I think I am meant to get a car within 2 hours when they are open but not sure when out of hours. But it was about 2 hours because I had to wait for the "luxury" taxi.
The problem was that I could get a car within 2 hours, but needed to be at the local meeting within 90 minutes. Therefore was a no go. I did get a taxi to come round, but the kit didn't fit in the Octavia Hatch they sent, so no go as didn't have time to wait for a black cab.

A learning experience really. Not sure what I've learnt tho.
EGR valve now replaced rather than cleaned. First impressions are that the problem is solved, pity the car had to spend almost 4 weeks off the road to get to that point tho.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - jbif
Hello Gordon: As early as 11 Dec 2007, Manatee sait:
FWIW - there has been a TSB on the i-ctdi engine (dependent on chassis number) and dealers will fit affected cars with a modified EGR valve. The symptom of the possible problem with affected cars is, I was told, hesitation. I have not had this symptom but the dealer volunteered this information and replaced the valve. <<

So if it was a known issue to Manatee, and a modified EGR is known to be the solution, why did it take your Dealer so long to fix it?
If I was you, I would question the Dealer's competency and take the matter up with Honda UK.

I raised that exact point with two separate dealers following Manatee's post. Both have denied there being an EGR recall on the Accord, although there have apparently been three such recalls on the Civic with the same engine, the boost valve being made larger each time.

I am going to take things up with Honda UK, I'm just giving it a couple of weeks to see if it's fixed, and to have a look at the MPG in the hope that it might have improved.
iCDTi one off hesitancy - grease monkey
sq
your dealers are giving you the correct information ,there is indeed a product update (recall) ongoing with the egr valves on ictdi equipped crv`s, frv`s, but not civics,these all use vacume operated egr valves,if you take the time to look under the bonnet of an accord ictdi you will see that it uses an electrically operated egr valve and a different recirculation arrangment to the other icdti equipped cars.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/02/2008 at 21:33

iCDTi one off hesitancy - Archie35
grease monkey - could you elaborate on that one? As an owner of a June 2007 diesel FRV, should I be taking it to the garage about this egr valve recall?! Many thanks!
iCDTi one off hesitancy - grease monkey
archie i suspect that as you have an 07 spec frv your car will already have a counter measure egr valve fitted during production,letters went out to most owners however the odd one must slip through the net occasionally,the next time your car is in for service etc it will be checked for ant outstanding recalls/updates.If it needs doing your delear will most likely do this at the same time,as well as replacing the egr valve all ictdi equipped cars(civics,frvs,crvs,accords) have a reprogramable ecu which is updated with the latest operating software to prevent the egr valve from clogging up again !
iCDTi one off hesitancy - Archie35
grease monkey,

thanks!