What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - GC1971
Hi all,
I have a 03 Focus estate (TDCI Ghia); but need something of similar size that is better for motorway runs (for around the same money).
When I got the car it was a London based runabout and an excellent one at that. But my role for the car has changed, and I now am doing about 500 miles per weekend on the M1/A1. (Oh joy).
The little focus isn?t really in it?s element here; it?s a bit noisy, vibrates a bit too much, and the journey is a bit more tiring than I think it needs be.
I initially had the car given the once over; and it needed rear shocks, a wheel bearing and tyres: this helped a lot, but I still can?t help feeling I could do better.
Do I just want saloon style refinement from an estate; or is there an obviously better motorway cruiser for me?
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - local yokel
SWMBO drives a Focus hatch, and while she and I like it for the sub 50 mile trips, I find my 405 TD far more comfortable for your type of trip/mileage. I'm not suggesting a 405, btw, but pointing out that I agree that the set up of the Focus is a little too sharp for long distance comfort.

The longer the wheelbase the better, of course, but the tyre/suspension design will have the greatest influence. I think you'll have to try out the obvious competition until you find the car for you. Given the miles, will you want diesel again?
I think we should get another diesel really; -I have tried a few smallish estates before I went for the Focus (A4; 320 & A40) but they couldn?t fit the buggy longways (allowing the dog in the boot too).
I guess I'm looking at the mid size jobs, but was wondering whether the general noise/vibration are inherent in all estates due to the lack of rear bulkhead.
Are people carriers / MPVs quieter / smoother?
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - DP
When my old company Focus estate was returned to the lease company after 3 yrs/99k, it was replaced with a Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 106. The Focus was a much better handling car, with more feel through the steering and brakes, but the Megane was a far "nicer" car to drive in other respects. A much more supple ride, a far quieter engine, less wind noise, far less road noise, infinitely better seats, and more relaxing at 100 mph than the Focus was at 50. Brilliant long distance car, and still a practical estate too. 1.5dCi engine is much, much perkier than you'd think as well.
I left before I'd done much more than 10k or so, but talking to former colleagues, they were popular with their drivers, and on the whole very reliable. The company still has them on the list, which suggests they're not too problematic.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - tyro
From my reading, I get the impression that MPVs are no quieter than estates.

I also get the impression that the Vauxhall Vectra estate is about the most refined estate you can buy without going for a prestige brand.
OK, thanks for the replies; I'll try a Megane and a Vectra. -Not sure whether I can afford them though!
Does this mean that you have ruled out second hand?
No, I was thinking second-hand. -but it's got to have a good star crash rating, so i guess not too old.
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - MichaelR
Mondeo Estate. It's like a Vectra save for the fact it's actually a good car.
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - Altea Ego
The vectra is the better, more refined cruiser. If you want a big comfy barge to whisk you up the motorway for 500 miles its fab. It has worse residuals than the mondeo so its a cheap second hand buy.

The mondy is nearly as good in barge mode, but much the better drivers car for those times you aint counting the mile markers for entertainment. Its slighty dearer second hand.

Either will fit your bill I think. The laguna has more style and is a good mile muncher, but the tourer is more lifestyle estate than load swallower. Consider a Citroen C5 estate or the Octavia estate as well tho its a bit noisy,
------
< Ulla>
"The vectra is the better, more refined cruiser. "
Oh goodness .. -I better drive both. It's always tough to bang 4 hours up the M1 on a test though.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 19:22

Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - 1066
Consider a Citroen C5 estate or the Octavia estate as well tho its a bit noisy,

my c5 estate is supremely comfortable on a long drive. and i get 50mpg when cruising at 70mph
Off topic slightly, but if I am alone in the car for a long journey, I sometimes use foam earplugs. Makes almost any vehicle very refined.

For further info, see the discussion on this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47229
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - local yokel
Earplugs might take away the noise, but the vibration and harshness (NVH = standard auto industry term) still remain.
Funnily enough I did use my earplugs last time! I ride a bike and always use them on non-town journeys; so I have loads of them kicking about.
The only downer here is I love music, and my motorway runs are a rare opportunity for me to listen to a couple of albums.
I will look into the Golf MK1V; -I think I'll be luck to get one for the sort of money the Focus is worth; but if it's a better option then I'll consider spending the extra.
I wonder whether letting a couple of PSI out of the rear tyres would help (obviously not less than 30, but they're at 32 by default).
The other option is to clip the dog to the back seat on a harness; then I can pull the boot cover over and put a blanket on the top.
Need a Motorway estate to replace my 03? Focus est - Avant
Not sure what your budget is, GC, but a Golf estate 2.0 TDI like mine would suit your needs admirably, as it has a 6-speed gearbox and is noisy only when accelerating hard. It's very refined on the motorway.

The Mark IV 1.9 TDI 115 and 130 had six speeds, amd so do the newer Octavias with the 2.0 TDI engine. An Octavia has quite a lot more room in the back than a Mark IV Golf, only slightly more room than the Mark V.