What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - Jacqual
My Mother-in-law's trusty old Fiesta occasionally refuses to start for no apparent reason. This might be before setting out, or at the shops before going home. After waiting an hour it will restart, and runs perfectly until the next time. Neither the AA or the local garage can find any fault. Just recently she was driving along and the car began to slowly lose power, and eventually stopped. Again after a wait it restarted and ran normally. This is a new development, is the first time anything has happened on the move, and is worrying because it is potentially dangerous. Any suggestions?

Edited by Webmaster on 16/10/2007 at 19:36

1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - bell boy
if garage can find no faults have they suggested changing the crank senser
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - jc2
Second fault could be throttle body icing-check air cleaner connections,thermac valve and hose from exhaust to air cleaner.
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - Jacqual
She called today and a local mechanic had been to look at the car, quickly checked usual electrics etc, and said fault was the injector. He is now trying to get hold of a second hand one for her (apparently a new one would cost a fortune). So fingers crossed he is sorting the problem in a sensible customer-friendly way! Does it sound as if he is on the right track?
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - Screwloose
Jacqual

There's three different makes of injection on those; but I have changed faulty Weber injectors in the past, so that could be a plausible diagnosis.

[And yes; they are a fortune.]
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - milkyjoe
i had a recent problem with the same symptoms and that was due to a cracked crank sensor so take bellboys advice and get it checked out
1995 Quartz 1.1 - sometimes won't start - bell boy
Ive never known an injector go on these personally,dead easy to check though as you can see them dribble when running a 1300 also substitutes an 1100 one, i used to mess with these trying to get these mk3"s through the cat tests after trying everything else known to man and beast (thankfully they are nearly all dead know ,no offence OP )

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/10/2007 at 10:52