What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.6 p-reg pushed mirror button in too far (gone!) - wolfgirl
My wally of a son (ive calmed down slightly since) was showing off with his mates when i left him alone in the car for 5 mins today (he is 13!) and pushed in the electric wing mirror button too far. Its now got a hole in its place and im unsure how to get the panel off so i can put it back in place again. Its below the heating dials, ive had a feel around and tried to pull off the front but i dont want to split the plastic or indeed make the heating dials do the same thing. How do i get at it so to speak so i can push it back through the hole. I hope people understand what i mean. I tried to get at it from behind or underneath, underneath all i can do is pull out coin tray/ash tray so im at a loss. Any help needed or my son may have to stay in his room forever.

S
1.6 p-reg pushed mirror button in too far (gone!) - Saltrampen
I guess he deformed the plastic arround the button to such an extent the button surround was forced through as well.

If you cannot get to the rear of the console/dash from the sides or the top easily, then either try long tweezers in combination with a screwdriver to see if you can retrieve it through the hole (probably unlikely). This might work if it hasn't dropped too far.

Otherwise, unless you are familar with removing the dashboard, you may need to get a manual which tells you how to remove the dash without damage.
On older cars approaching from the sides in the driver's or passenger footwell maybe successful, but often the fan/heater gets in the way.

If you have to get a professional to do it, accident repair centres are often experienced in this area.

I have lost a flap slidey thingy into the side vent on a Honda and managed to retrieve it with long tweezers (6 inch).

1.6 p-reg pushed mirror button in too far (gone!) - wolfgirl
Well he 'says' he pushed it with his knee as he turned to speak to his mate, pink fluffy dice! Basically there is 3 buttons, big round one to change direction and 2 smaller ones under neath to choose left or right wing mirror. All of the buttons have disappeared and im left with one big hole and 2 smaller ones. I did try with tweezers originally but there is nothing to get hold of other than either side of the button and then with the tweezers it was impossible to pull it back through, ive now ended up not even being able to see the buttons as they pinged back further behind the panel. Oh well not worry, might ask my garage, it has to go in tomorrow anyway.