What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mk4 Astra Drumming noise - wbd
My recently acquired 2000 (X reg)Astra 1.6i 16v estate 111k exhibits a 'drumming' noise increasing pitch/volume somewhat with speed on normal roads at speeds 5mph to 50ish but is not present at 70-80 on the 'new' smooth m-way surface. The noise continues with the gearbox in neutral. The tyres are budget (made in Poland) and are at the recommended 32psi front and 28 rear. The rear n/s wheel bearing has been replaced to no effect.
Could it be the CVT joints?
Tyres? or even the non-standard plastic wheel covers?
All thoughts welcome

Regards
Brian

Astra Drumming noise - piston power
Id go for wheel bearings especially as you have knocked it into neutral, there not always the easiest to pin point, where does the noise seem to come from? best get somebody to lie in the back to see if they can hear at the back, a second pair of ears is a good thing!!
As for your tyres if there out of shape they normally wobble on the steering etc, cv joints knock when on full lock, it's a constant knocking when turning left/right etc.
Wheel covers just take them off for now. good luck let us know some more info??
Astra Drumming noise - John S
I'm asuming you've checked the wheel bearings for obvious play and/or roughness by jacking the car up and spinning the wheels? If that's shown no problems then given the fact it's road surface related I'd suspect the tyres. Had a very similar effect on a Vectra, which sounded just like a rear wheel bearing on some surfaces. When the tyres, Goodyear NCTs, were replaced with Michelin the noise vanished.

JS
Astra Drumming noise - wbd
Thanks BigTee and JS..I checked the tyres...the dubious Arrowspeed HP130 are on the front and Firestone Firehawk 700 on rear.

Nice one about a second set of ears, especially since only one of mine works (left)

Anotherthing, on the Kwikfit site they think this car has 14in rims but I have 15in? Will check the H/bk.

Obviously more data is needed, maybe change front and rear tyres?
JS did you change all the tyres?

Brian
Astra Drumming noise - Ruperts Trooper
Check the front brake pads (and rear if fitted). mk4 Astras have "audible brake wear warning" - basically a piece of tuning fork type material which rubs on the disk as the pad wears down, giving a drumming noise. It's quite common for one pad, of a pair, to be worn more than the other.
Astra Drumming noise - bell boy
i would go for tyres first ,even if nearly new
Thanks RT, interesting about the brakepad worn noise but the car has just passed MOT and nothing on the advisories. I'll check the handbook and Manual, though.
Brian
Astra Drumming noise - John S
Brian

No, the problem only went away when I changed the rears. Tyre noise with some makes of tyre seemed to be a common Vectra problem. I'd certainly try swapping the front and rear tyres to see if it changes things.

JS
Astra Drumming noise - Ruperts Trooper
Tyre brand does make a huge difference to road noise - my Astra was very noisy on the OE Michelin XH1 but quieter on the replacement Goodyear NCT5 although I didn't realise how noisy they are until I fitted Goodyear Excellence, which are much quieter again.
Thanks, everyone, I think i've bottomed it..on www.tyre-Online the rear tyres firestone firehawk 700 fuel are noted as having noise as a downside!
Unfortunately threr is no report on the Arrowspeed HP130

Best Regards to you all and have a good weekend
Brian