What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reasonable parking sensors - lucyandneil
Hello there,

Just bought a new VW Bora 1.6 S, and picking it up on Tuesday. We currently own a much smaller car, so it'll be a steep learning curve to learn how to park the Bora for me, but especially for my wife, who isn't the most confident of drivers, but will need to drive the car on her own sometimes.

We've talked about parking sensors, whether they might be worth the money and give her a little peace of mind. I have no experience of them at all, never really needed one in the past. She even leaves extra early for work so she can guarantee an empty car park to drive into!

Anybody have any thoughts/experiences of them?

Thanks
Reasonable parking sensors - Hamsafar
cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brees-Parking-Reverse-Sensors-Kit-B...m

I fitted the above kit, but didn't bother with the display, left this behind the trim in the boot. The pleasent chimes at decreasing intervals are enough guidance. Have you looked at Boras like yours to see where factory-fit ones go?
Have you looked at Boras
like yours to see where factory-fit ones go?

Nope. To be honest, this was my first port of call before looking into it at any great deal of detail. I'd imagine the VW sensors would be pretty pricey. Whats the relevance of seeing where the factory ones are fitter? Simply that it shows where best to fit one yourself?
Reasonable parking sensors - milkyjoe
parking a car is part of the test, if you cant do it you shouldnt be driving!
parking a car is part of the test if you cant
do it you shouldnt be driving!

You wouldn'tbelieve that she passed her test first time! I reckon it was something to do with the short skirt she wore though.....
Reasonable parking sensors - JH
l&n
I've got parking sensors, I didn't choose them, I bought the car off the showroom floor and they were already on. I'd previously dismissed them as a gimmick but they really are great. Ashok is right, you don't need a display, just the beeps becoming more frequent as you get closer, going to a continious tone 6 inches before impact. Manufacturer prices are, needless to say, silly.
JH
Reasonable parking sensors - Pugugly {P}
VW can retrofit these for around 150 beer tokens. All warrented and properly chopped into the CANbus wiring. I wouldn't go to a third party with a new car.....
Reasonable parking sensors - milkyjoe
l&n
I've got parking sensors I didn't choose them I bought the
car off the showroom floor and they were already on. I'd
previously dismissed them as a gimmick but they really are great.
Ashok is right you don't need a display just the beeps
becoming more frequent as you get closer going to a continious
tone 6 inches before impact. Manufacturer prices are needless to say
silly.
JH

problem is you are allowing technology to un hone your parking skills, and heaven forbid the chap whos sandwiched betwix two cars with sencors on he would have to get the tub of vas out,
Reasonable parking sensors - Hamsafar
I used to think that milkyjoe, but I think you could also think of them as a training aid, not really that different than your passenger getting out and saying, "back a bit...stop!"

I fitted them on my last car as part of 'Operation Top-of-the-range' and they were rubbish they had a mind of their own and a shrill squeak, but one day, I was hit up the back by a volvo, and had to have a new bumper and they fitted a much better kit. I did price up the VW one, and the sensors alone were £75 each! If you can get the whole system for £150 as PU says, I would seriously consider that. But make sure they aren't just fitting £30 aftermarket kits as many japanese marque's dealers do.
Reasonable parking sensors - David Horn
My car comes with big squishy bumpers that work as very effective parking sensors. ;-)
Reasonable parking sensors - Lud
Careful DH. They'll start accusing you of vandalism.
Reasonable parking sensors - Pugugly {P}
Or the Landie with steel girder parking sensors, not that I would of course.
Thanks all for your comments. I think its something I'll look into, and perhaps see what VW can do for us.

Thanks again.
Reasonable parking sensors - JH
m
As Ashok says - a training aid. I can learn where the back end is without "bump".
JH