What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
dealer damaged new car - andfishy
New ford fiesta had what the dealer described as factory fallout on bonnet and wings (small particles in paintwork that looked like grinder particles) was told it would be no problem to sort out. Just picked it up from dealers after discovering machine polish scratches all over bodywork and am gutted! the car is only 12 days old. am i within my rights to ask for a replacement or refund? would appreciate some good advice. P.S has anyone else encountered this problem on new ford fiestas?
dealer damaged new car - SjB {P}
My guess is that it has been stored in a compound adjacent to the braking zone on a railway line, or transported by rail. Train brake dust behaves exactly as you have described. I leave someone more qualified to comment on the financial aspects of the result.
dealer damaged new car - Mapmaker
Yawn. not another one. Do car companies not CARE?

No.

Next time buy a 3 year old car. Save yourself a bundle of cash, and a lot of heartache.

In the interim, reject the car; demand they sort it out; they won't. Demand a refund, and go buy that three year old car.
dealer damaged new car - the original horse
the defect was brought to your attention pre sale and i assume you got some discount which you accepted due to the condition ?
dealer damaged new car - Perfection
Look like the car has been sitting in the garage / bodyshop that has collected a lot of metal particles. The car would need a respray job to get rid of those defects. I would demand a new car.
dealer damaged new car - bell boy
i wouldnt have bought it
probably already paid out as a cat x anyway
reject if you can but as said
you were told it was damaged goods so i reckon
tough
you should have rejected at pos

good luck though young thing
dealer damaged new car - reevsie
would it have been easier to use a clay bar rather than polish it out. I made a right mess of my paintwork when i removed my old brake discs with an angle grinder. used a clay bar and was astonished how effective it was. Incidently I use the clay bar to remove the fallout that sticks to my upvc windows and cills. Works wonders.
dealer damaged new car - Mapmaker
Did you order the new car which was delivered damaged; or did you buy it pre-damaged, OP?
did not become aware of small particles until washed after bank holiday camping trip, when they showed up because of small ring marks around them (possibly rust,) not aware of them when bought!
bought the car as new , registered end of march!
dealer damaged new car - Blue {P}
I worked in a Ford dealers and we once ended up replacing someone's new Mondeo for this reason, if there's one thing that Ford don't know how to do, it's protect their new cars.

Also, most dealers don't know what a clay bar is so it's machine polishing all the way I'm afraid!

Blue
dealer damaged new car - reevsie
I am surprised by the clay bar thing, when i covered my car in iron filings ,did a search on this forum and using the clay bar was the answer. How can the average bodyshop not know this?
dealer damaged new car - Red Baron
Come on!

The average person that resides within a bodyshop has knuckles that scrape the ground as they walk.
dealer damaged new car - L'escargot
.........small particles in paintwork that looked like
grinder particles..........

Were the particles actually in the paint or just on the paint surface? It might give a clue as to where/how it happened.
--
L\'escargot.
dealer damaged new car - Mad Maxy
Dealer (and his agent) have messed up. Dealer needs to sort out to your satisfaction. If you don't get joy, take legal advice. Could be a small claims court job if need be.

I once tried an almost new Mk II Golf GTI 16V. Loved it but wouldn't buy it cos it had a dent in the n/s door. So I ordered a new one. When that arrived it too had a dented n/s door! Dealer assured me it would be fixed by their own bodyshop - and it was. They did a great job and I couldn't tell a repair had been done. It was one of the best cars I ever had.
dealer damaged new car - AlastairM
Why is it a lot of people instantly made the assumption that you knew it was damaged before you bought it therefore "tough", or ?the defect was brought to your attention pre sale and I assume you got some discount which you accepted due to the condition.?

You asked for advice about what to do about a new car bought 'as new' then subsequently found to be not be in 'new condition.

It seems to be the case that a lot of the posters here are 'in the trade' and give a lot of advice based presumably from that standpoint. I would hate to buy a car from any of them, but probably have. Deny everything; claim it must have been your fault, there from the start so it's your responsibility, etc.
No wonder the motor trade has a bad name. Fortunately there are BRers who are knowledgeable and are willing to share with the more ignorant among us.
dealer damaged new car - Blue {P}
Alastair I think you're being a little unfair to a few of the BRers. From the way that the original post was written it would be easy to misunderstand and think that the car was advertised as a damaged new vehicle and that the OP bought it in the full knowledge of it's fault. I assumed this wasn't the case purely because I *know* how many Fords arrive at the dealers covered in fallout, sometimes to the point of requireing full resprays.

Blue
Yep! I should have made it clear the car was bought as new, Been to the dealer this morning and they have offered to replace the car. Thanks all, for some useful and interesting advice. It is easy, I suppose to just say o well that is how things are,but surely we shouldent have to accept it should we? One thing I cant get my head round is that bodyshops think its fine to attack new paintwork with a mechanical polisher and just grind away to their hearts content and then expect the car body to be fine! . hope this problem is solved quickly, watch this space! thanks again!
dealer damaged new car - AlastairM
Hi Blue,

You are probably right. I did say that there are some very helpful BRers. But I also see a lot of curmudgeonly behaviour. However, that is I suppose the role of a forum like this, all views equally aired.
dealer damaged new car - Neiltoo
At the end of the day, it's a good pointer to the quality of the bodyshop in question, should you need one in the future!

Neil
dealer damaged new car - astgte
I've never tried one of those clay bars, heard they are the bees knees so to say tho. Wonder if it would be worth while trying it on it, but only if you have tried the supplying dealer first and no joy. Personally I would go straight back and ask for them to sort it for you. Do remember when I worked for a large vauxhall dealership that they did like to use a large amount of wax when pdi, it would take several months to wear off and loads of washes to cover up any nasty imperfections, then they could claim that any damage was caused by the customer. So I would get back to them sharpish and point it out, gud luck me aul china and let us know