What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo 2.0 diesel rattle - McPherson Strut
I've noticed a rattle from the engine for about 10/15 seconds when the engine cold, even worse when it's been stood all night at freezing temperatures. I've driven diesels for the last 10 years so i'm used to the sound. It's only a year old with 25k on the clock fully serviced oil level ok etc etc. Very much like the old 2.0l petrol ford engine when the cam followers were worn, tap tap tap !. It's been to the dealer for review and they said they've tweaked the engine management (my words not there's). It's going back again in about two weeks for another review. Comments anyone.
Mondeo 2.0 diesel rattle - injection doc
Hi they are renowned for injector faults,it could be hydraulic tappets have you tried an oil change + the manufacturer is very specific on the specification of oil used. I had a diesel jag/mondeo which when frosty out would rattle like the pistons were 10mm too small. They actually needed recoding & that was at 16000miles + my new jag had a single tap when cold under load and hi doses of injector cleaner cured that. When my Jag spent a week at the dealer they two said it was fine till I had to put pressure on them!
The tweeking they referred to may have been recoding so ask.
Hope this helps