What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Auction Advice - daveweim
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me but I read the HJ's column without fail every week. Basically, I have 4k to 4 1/2k to spend on a newish car. I'm looking at a Mondeo hatch as these seem to be the best value for money and are reliable. I am after an 02 or 03 130 diesel which I've seen advertised privately for around this sort of money. If I can sell my current car privately, I am considering buying at an auction at a reputable place like BCA at Belle Vue Manchester. Will £4k get me an ex-fleet with around 80k on the clock on a face lift model? I've heard horror stories about auctions but my mate has just bought an ex-fleet C-Max without any problems. Will £4k get me something half decent and avoid the 'dodgy motor' trap as I am not a car expert!?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.
Auction Advice - Chris M
Use an auction buyer. Much safer if you don't know what you are doing, although it has to be said, you won't get the adrenalin rush of bidding for yourself. Won't cost you much more either.

There will be backroomers along soon to recommend Joe Dowd, although I think you are outside of his area, he will possibly have contacts near you.
That is great; thanks very much for the advice.
Auction Advice - Collos25
You will get a good 04/54 lx 1.8 petrol estate for 3500 to 4500.
Auction Advice - Roly93
All I can say is be focussed on what you're doing. Study the auction list prior to the auction and if possible note the prices alongside the cars you are interseted in. Also, be very carefull as to the description of the cars on the list as there are often mistakes which only come out when the auctioneer announces the actual model of the car. I was caught like this once when I thought I was bidding for the 1.6 but the car was actually a 1.4 which for some reason I didn't catch as the car was announced !
Hi, thanks for all the advice and tips. I'm hoping that a three to four year ex-fleet car with a service history and without star ship mileage will be a relative safe bet.
Auction Advice - Vin {P}
Daveweim,

Do a forum search (sidebar on the right) for Joe Dowd and see what advice comes up. I recommend him unequivocally. Because his fees are lower than yours, you'll end up paying about £125 net for his help.

V
Auction Advice - local yokel
Joe's web site:

www.auctioncarbuyer.co.uk/About-AuctionCarBuyer.htm
Auction Advice - CJay{P}
At the rate this forum is recommending Joe (myself a happy customer), HJ should ask for a retainer!
Happy to recommend Joe to anyone, a very nice man to deal with.
Thanks very much for the recommendation. I will have a look at his website!
Auction Advice - Chris M
"At the rate this forum is recommending Joe (myself a happy customer), HJ should ask for a retainer!"

And maybe a Backroomers discount!
Auction Advice - barney100
I have nothing against auctions but you have to make rather quick decisions. I would have a look at whats for sale privately and if anything suitable shows up you can at least have a good inspection and test drive then maybe negotiate a bit off the price too!
Auction Advice - Collos25
You have all day to look at it and you can take it back if there is a major fault probably better gaurantee than most garages.Quick checks are does it look right no ripples mismatch paint panels,are the discs worn,are the seats clean and intact,does it smell of tobacco,check tyres including spare,service book fully stamped and of course oil and water for mayo.
Auction Advice - colino
If you are really interested in a car, ask the auctioneer at the rostrum if it has a stamped up service history. SH can mean a service book with a PDI and absolutely nothing else in it and all perfectly legal. Ideally the car will come from a known fleet and have a much better, itemised print out of every scrap of work done to the vehicle.