What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Computerised MOT - Stuartli
Just had the Bora MOT'd.

Got there on time, only to be met with an apology that my test would be a little later than arranged as the garage had just started using the computerised MOT system and some training was being undertaken.

Mine was the second car to be done and, in fact, the delay wasn't all that long.

The point I'm raising, however, is that during the course of the actual test I asked if the link was done via the Internet?

That turned out to be the case but the real surprise came with the fact that the DVLA insists on a dialup connection and flatly refuses broadband. It seems, for what reason I cannot comprehend, that the computerised version only works with dialup..:-)

I suggested that the garage would also have to bear the additional cost of another phone line, but it seems this particular garage is using its current phone line to see if it affects incoming calls (and possible jobs).

The tester told me that the information is, in fact, sent very quickly and there is not too much disruption, but you'd think in this day and age that dialup would never even have been considered for such a vast project?

By the way the Bora passed...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Computerised MOT - J Bonington Jagworth
Probably difficult for them to insist on broadband yet, so perhaps easier to have everywhere the same. Just hope no-one gets a rogue dialler!
>>Probably difficult for them to insist on broadband yet>>

Apparently the DVLA only issues dialup modems...

The claim is that the system will not work with BB - why completely escapes me.

Certainly the garage concerned would prefer to use BB.
Computerised MOT - smokie
Would it be easier to verify the source of the call? It may even do a dial-back to reduce the scope for unauthorised access.
Computerised MOT - bell boy
congratulations on getting a pass,the dial up system is on a free phone number for the garage,when siemens undertook the programming for the system broadband was basically still a dream.
I took one of my cars for an mot yesterday it had no interior mirror but it did have both exterior mirrors and according to the book thats a pass but the machine failed it,it also had an advisory on the mot screen for a cracked number plate but it turned into a fail on the new vt30 refusal of certificate sheet,i got my mot man to ring siemens on why the mirror was failed they said it should pass i got him to ring vosa they said it should pass(we didnt even mention the advise to fail on the plate,as life is too short) i then got him to stick the mirror on and order me a number plate so the vehicle didnt have to go through a full retest,what a farce the fee is now approx £47 and the same again if you dont leave car for any necessary repairs or it fails on non essential items like bulbs,i check my cars before mot but i am only human i missed the mirror and broke the number plate going to the mot station (dont ask),my point is that these fees are going to be passed on to the motorist and the lower pecking order of the country is going to feel this worse as they are the ones that run older cars.
Another large cost of living expense in my opinion
I should, of course, refer to VOSA rather than the DVLA...:-(

The cost for me was £44.15.
Computerised MOT - Aprilia
That turned out to be the case but the real surprise
came with the fact that the DVLA insists on a dialup
connection and flatly refuses broadband. It seems, for what reason I
cannot comprehend, that the computerised version only works with dialup..:-)

DVLA don't insist on anything. Its SBS (Siemens Business Systems) that insist on it.
Computerised MOT - martint123
AFAIK the central system isn't on the internet, outlying garages call into their 'private' system via ISDN. I guess this is how things were done 10 years ago. Adds a touch of security and verifies who is calling.
outlying garages call into their 'private' system via ISDN. >>

I've already pointed out that the garage is using its main telephone line for the dialup modem for the moment - it does stop incoming and outgoing calls for a short time as you well appreciate.
Computerised MOT - martint123
I was going by local experience. I was in the local rural garage and they had a spare line that VOSA refused to use. They had to have a new line installed. No spare lines in the existing cable, telephone pole shorter than current requirement, so VOSA had to pay for 3 or 4 telephone poles to be replaced just to get an ISDN line installed.
Computerised MOT - rebel
The system only works with dial up, but what is even more stupid is that the modems as supplied by Siemens are throttled to 14.4k
Computerised MOT - pmh
....the modems as supplied by Siemens are throttled to 14.4k.....

But does it matter? The volume of data is so small, that call set up time is probably > 90% of the call duration! Rock solid, error free, (ie no retansmissions) is just what is required!

Several people above have commented that ISDN is being used, possibly users have the option of analogue dial up for those areas where ISDN was not available.

Dont get me on the Govrnment/IT rant.

--

pmh (was peter)

>>...the modems as supplied by Siemens are throttled to 14.4k....>>

Or they bought a job lot of mid-1990s era computer modems cheap and were determined to use them...:-)

It's also the fax transmission speed even today IIRC.
Computerised MOT - Aprilia
ISDN is used (where available) because it was extremely popular in Germany back when SBS were given the job. They were basically using equipment they had already used and proven over there.
Computerised MOT - Altea Ego
There is nothing wrong with dialup. Its still a perfectly valid solution for small on demand data requests. Ask any number of small retail outlets that verify credit cards.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Computerised MOT - Doc
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersgarageowners/motcom...m