What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus instrument panel going awol - oaktape
hi can anyone help i have a 2001 focus and my instrument panel is going awol. The problem i am having is that i could be sitting there doing 40 when all of a sudden the rev counter,speedo,fuel gage, temp gage start going mad ie going from 0-140 empty and full. there is no difference in wat the engine is going sounds fine. I was told that there could be a serge in power coming from the alternator which i have changed and this has made no difference wat so ever. is there anyone else who has had this problem and if so how did u correct this. thanks neil.
ford focus instrument panel going awol - madf
Alternator problem it is not. You probably have a dry soldered joint on the printed ciruit board that controls the dash instruments and occasionally the connections fail.

Only cure is removal and testing ( it may be possible to test in place).
A qualified auto electrical engineer seems the best bet unless someone knows of any specifc fault.

madf

ford focus instrument panel going awol - Adam {P}
I think your problem could be the speed sensor.
--
Adam
ford focus instrument panel going awol - Wales Forester
I'm inclined to agree with Adski's Speed Sensor theory.
It is a common problem on 1.6 & 1.8 petrol engined Foci.

PP
ford focus instrument panel going awol - Adam {P}
That's what I meant. Sorry I was a little abrupt earlier.
--
Adam
ford focus instrument panel going awol - mfarrow
I'm not sure how long fault codes are stored, but the instrument panel stores fault codes when it detects a fault. To access them, go into the Self Diagnostic Mode by holding down the tripometer reset button and turning the ignition switch to position II or III (from 0). Release the tripometer reset button when TEST is displayed.

Keep pressing the test button to go through the various diagnostics. after rXXX and EXXX there will be either a code displayed or NONE will appear. If you get NONE, then I'm afraid it hasn't stored anything. However if you get a code beginning with 9, A or D, then it's detected a fault somewhere. The codes which relate to missing/invalid vehicle speed (i.e. dodgy speed sensor) are D262 and D041 respectively. If you get anything else feedback and I'll look it up.

Pressing the tripometer reset button again should give you the road speed as XXX.X. You might get this, or another fault code(s). Again, make a note of it.

--------------
Mike Farrow
ford focus instrument panel going awol - Snakey
I would agree with the speed sensor theory as my 1.8 did very similar things.

I took it to a Ford dealer who charged me £££s to use their diagnostic computer to tell me it was a faulty battery - ironic as the battery was 2 months old at the time.

I eventually bit the bullet based on the useful info gained here and put a replacement sensor in (£25 from Ford) and in the 3 1/2 months since have not had a repetition. Bit of a swine to fit mind you as the retaining pin did not want to leave the geabox!

I got not fault codes at all, but I assume this was because the fault was very erratic