What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kick a sport when it's down - SjB {P}
From ITV F1:

This weekend?s French Grand Prix could be disrupted by protesters closing in on the Magny-Cours circuit and threatening to cause traffic chaos.

A march led by regular activist Francois Schneider and his donkey Jujube is reported to be only a few miles from the circuit.

The protesters are calling for the cancellation of the race, which they regard as an orgy of consumerist decadence.

?The French Formula 1 Grand Prix is a paroxysm of pollution and the wasting of natural resources,? the organisation said on its website.

?We want the end of this anachronistic leisure activity reserved for a score of spoilt rich brats.?

The non-violent march set off from Lyons with 130 people on June 7 and has been covering 10 miles per day. It will go to Nevers tonight and tomorrow will head south on the main road to the track.

The protest is apparently being supported by veteran anti-globalisation campaigner and eco-warrior Jose Bove, who famously trashed a McDonald?s restaurant in Millau in 1999 on the grounds that ?eating is not a neutral act?.

The French GP has been threatened by protests before. The first race held at Magny-Cours in 1991 was hit by a lorry drivers? blockade but the race went ahead despite considerable disruption to traffic.

Kick a sport when it's down - helicopter
F1 = Yawn = zzzzzz

- I've got better much things to do on Sunday - like watching the grass grow - ( as I recline on a comfortable chair in the garden with a nice bottle of Rioja and the Sunday Telegraph).

I might stir myself if the Moto GP is on though.....
Kick a sport when it's down - SjB {P}
I agree, though I still laughed when I read the report - especially at the name of the Donkey. I thought it was a wind up for a second or two!

Having had interest wane over the last season, I gave up on F1 completely at the start of this season.

Moto GP though...fantastic

Tangent: Although the programme itself is low rent, it was interesting on Men and Motors "Bikes Aloud" this week to see "Joe Public" ride Rossi's Honda RC211 from last year. Lucky bleeder!
Kick a sport when it's down - Big Bad Dave
I got hooked on F1 as a nine-year-old, I saw James Hunt helping to pull someone out of burning wreckage in 1976 I think. I booked my holidays around races or at least as soon as I?d unpacked my toothbrush I?d hunt down the nearest TV room and reserve it for Sundays.

But I haven?t seen a race since I left the UK 2 years ago and I haven?t missed it one bit.
Kick a sport when it's down - Robin Reliant
These protesters ought to be sent off to an island with no electricity, transport, scientific or medical reserch or any of the benefits of technology just to see what a world that fits in with their ideas of saving the planet would be like.

Most would soon be back, I'd wager.
Kick a sport when it's down - chakaping
Whoever thought 'an orgy of consumerist decadence' could be so dull?

Personally, I'm right behind the plucky Gallic troublemakers.
Kick a sport when it's down - Adam {P}
Would that be with or without your V6?

;-) Sorry sorry!
--
Adam
Kick a sport when it's down - chakaping
Would that be with or without your V6?
;-) Sorry sorry!
--
Adam

I know, I know, I'm a rotten hypocrite.

I don't drive very often though, if that makes things better.
Oh it does. Mind you, those new TDCi diesels are even more economical and environmentally friendly.

Get one of them!
--
Adam
As opposed to the TDCi petrols.
--
Adam
Kick a sport when it's down - frostbite
" Oh it does. Mind you, those new TDCi diesels are even more economical and environmentally friendly"

"As opposed to the TDCi petrols."

Adam, do you talk the way you type?
Kick a sport when it's down - No Do$h
Adam, do you talk the way you type?

I'm banking on it. Mark and I both look forward to the opportunity to meet with young Adski. We are firmly of the opinion that a night out with the overly-tall one would be extremely good value for money, not to say extremely random.
That's twice I've been completely unnerved this week and it's rather worrying!

It's the 8th time I've been called random though.

Frostbite, I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not but seeing as you're a thouroughly nice chap, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ;-)

--
Adam
Kick a sport when it's down - frostbite
Frostbite, I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment
or not but seeing as you're a thouroughly nice chap, I'll
give you the benefit of the doubt ;-)

Can you remember what Capt. Mainwaring used to say to Pte. Pike?
Out of "Don't tell him Pike" and "Stupid Boy", I'll go for the latter.

--
Adam
Kick a sport when it's down - codefarm
... "and threatening to cause traffic chaos."

I've been to that circuit for F1. How will anyone be able to tell?
Kick a sport when it's down - Stuartli
Someone should politely point out to said Francois Schneider that one Jumbo flight from London to Sydney causes as much pollution as two whole seasons of Grand Prix practice and race meetings.

(Source Top Gear Magazine, March 2004, Page 14).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Kick a sport when it's down - Stuartli
Just rechecked the source as working from memory - actually the Jumbo produces MORE emissions than two entire F1 seasons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by