What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus front pads and disks - Grease_monkey
I'm going to change the pads in my focus next weekend and while i'm at it i'm going to change the disks because there looking quite thin.
When i undo the 7mm allen key bolt to withdraw the pads will the disk come off then or is there something else i need to do.
The ford service manual on cd says that it will slide off when the caliper is off?
Ford Focus front pads and disks - none
You might be able to replace the pads by using a 7mm allen key, but the caliper will be held on by something a bit bigger - probably needing something like a 19mm spanner.
And 'slide' could be Fordspeak for 'hammer'.
Cheers for the information none. I was under the illusion that the disk was held in position by the caliper and secured when the wheel was bolted on?
I've changed millions of brake pads on trains but this will be the first time on a car.
When i had a R reg fiesta 1.25 Lx roughly 2 years ago i watched my local quickfit change the disk and pads on that and remember commenting to the tech there how easy it looked. Just hopeing the same apllies to the brakes on my motor.
It does look so easy on a computer screen!!!
Ford Focus front pads and disks - Quinny100
I did the front brakes on my old Focus and they're quite straightforward. The guide on the TIS CD is spot on.

You would be best using a socket driven hex key rather than an Allen key if possible as the caliper screws will be on quite tight and may well strip an allen key. The screws are also concealed by plastic dust covers.

Once the caliper is off in theory the disc should slide straight off - in practice it'll probably take a bit of whacking with a hammer to free it off from the hub but they weren't stuck fast when I did mine.

Don't forget to get some brake cleaner because the discs will more than likely be coated in a thick oil to prevent them rusting in the box and you need to clean them thoroughly before fitting.
Cheers Quinny100
I do intend on doing them at work next saturday which is a fully fitted out train depot so i'll have what tool i need to hand.
On the service cd it looks very easy so i should have no problem doing them but you never know. Theres always something that wants to give you a hard time.
We've got a very big industrial cleaner which we use to clean engine etc components of oil so the new disks might get treated to that for 10 minutes.