What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres and quality - Alwyn
Well folks, just got back from a "recommended tyre fitters" with a new tyre in the boot for my wife's Mondeo.

Slight problem, as is often the case with smaller suppliers, they do not carry much stock. I asked for Goodyear or Michelin and ended up with Hanook.

I have not heard of these folks but now find they are a large manufacturere from Korea.

Is anyone else as wary as me when they buy makes they have never heard of. Chappie assured me he has been selling these since 1993 with no problems.

Anyone else got any experience of the brand? Hanook Confort Extra Activa.

(£34, fitted and balanced)

I presume they all measure up to UK tyre regulations or could/should not be sold.
Re: Tyres and quality - Alwyn
That should be Hankook. Ooops!
Re: Tyres and quality - ian (cape town)
Al, do a search on Hankook - they were discussed a while back.
Re: Tyres and quality - Ian Cook
Alwyn

I've got a Hankook on the van and it's fine. I know this vehicle is not renowned for speed but it does carry fair old loads and this tyre appears to behave like the others (Michelin). It's not showing any signs of undue wear (yet!).

Ian
Re: Tyres and quality - Andy P
The only tests I've seen on Hankook tyres rated them as poor, especially in the wet. You can't expect cutting-edge tread design and compound for this price.

Andy
Re: Tyres and quality - David W
Alwyn,

I know them well. They are a decent tyre for modest use.

Drive hard in the wet and you'll notice a handling reduction compared with a new premium tyre. Having said that they are likely to be better than your old worn ones.

They also will often wear poorly if you do drive quickly.

David
David,

The chap offered to put a tube in the punctured Goodyear for me. Remembering your advice, I declined.

Cheers
Re: Tyres and quality - Keith
Did you only buy one tyre ? If so, what tyre will be on the other side ? I wouldn't drive a car with different tyres on the same axle, especially if one is a cheap Korean make. Sounds dangerous to me. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Yes the other tyre is a Michelin and the chappie said no problem!

Who is correct? I do prefer the tyres to match but it was that or drive around with no spare for two days. I understood that as long as radial and crossply were not mixed, then all is OK.

Not true?
Re: Tyres and quality - Keith
I'm not a tyre expert but tyres are designed as a compromise to achieve the perfomance characteristics required by the designer. These include : wet grip, resistance to aquaplaning, noise, tread wear, rolling resistance (i.e. fuel economy), comfort and probably a lot more.

Taking wet grip, your Michelin and Hankook tyres may differ in performance and in an emergency could make it difficult to brake in a straight line.

Just my opinion - it would be interesting to get the views of a tyre manufacturer. For peace of mind, I would not mix tyres in that way although it's perfectly legal AFAIK.
Re: Tyres and quality - Andy P
As I pointed out a while a go, I have always been told never to mix different brand tyres across an axle. If you do, you'll end up with different grip and braking capabilities on each side of the car. This will probably be most noticeable in the wet, when the grippier tyre will tend to cause the car to veer slightly to that side. They will also wear at different rates.

Andy