What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saxo fuel filter - Tom Shaw
After nineteen years, SWMBO has given up driving instruction and has retired her Saxo Diesel to runabout status. Without the pressure of having to have the car back on the road ASAP, Christmas Eve was spent carrying out the 40k service. Oil & filter no probs, air filter a breeze and even fitted new glow plugs which cured the sluggish starting. The service also calls for a new fuel filter. This looks an absolute pig to get to, so before I splash out on a new one, is it easier than it looks to remove without causing permanant wrist damage and will the system need bleeding after replacement?

The car is booked in for a new cambelt next week, so if the job is likely to cause more trouble than it is worth I can leave it to them. Any suggestions?
Saxo fuel filter - David Lacey
Tom

The fuel filter, it is a bit of a pig, suggest you leave it to them.
Bleeding the fuel system afterwards and getting ALL of the air out/starting the engine afterwards can be a bit of a job!

Kind regards

David
Re: Saxo fuel filter - Tom Shaw
Much obliged David. I forgot to add, is it possible to reset the service indicator or is it best to just live with the flashing spanner?
Saxo fuel filter & Flashing Spanner - David Lacey
Tom - I "think" there is a service light reset tool available from Sykes Pickavant for this. I have one for VAG models - works really well. The Xsaras & late Xantias we service have this spanner symbol flashing next to the odometer - we have ignored it!

Perhaps next year I will look into purchase of a reset tool......

Rgds

David
Re: Saxo fuel filter - JohnD
Hi Tom - It's not too difficult to change the Saxo fuel filter, although it's easier if you remove the battery and trunking first. Once that's done, it's only a matter of unscrewing the old and fitting the new. Open the bleed screw and sqeeze the rubber bulb until fuel runs from the bleed screw. To reset the service indicator on your Zantia do the following. Press in and hold the trip meter reset button. Turn on the ignition and continue holding the button for 5 seconds. Release the button and turn off the ignition. Switch on again and the service indicator should read 6000. - All the best!
Re: Saxo fuel filter - JohnD
Sorry Tom - What I should have said about resetting your service indicator was - this is how I reset my Zantia, it may work on your Saxo. Funny! our Saxo doesn't have one!