What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Adam {P}
Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I have the motoring equivalent of hypochondria - I haven't really - I'm just being a perfectionist.

Brakes - as you may have guessed is the problem I've decided on today.

The car does stop. The brakes don't seem to grind leading me to believe it isn't the pads.

I wouldn't even say there was excessive travel in the pedal - nor is it spongy but it doesn't seem to have the bite it used to have. Before you say "pads wear down" I know this. The pedal doesn't travel to the floor but I do seem to be pushing it ever so slightly more to get the desired effect...brakes. When you press it, the car stops but it doesn't seem as sudden as normally.

I realise it's probably the vaguest question ever in the backroom but I wouldn't mind some thoughts on this. If it's just a case of pads wearing down then fine. I suspect that someone's going to suggest air locks or something but any advice would be appreciated.

Yours,

A needlessly worried Adam.

Have I got a headache...or is it a brain tumour?
--
Adam
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Civic8
Not so vague as it goes.. Though wish to know whether rear disc or drum?
--
Steve
Hi Steve,
It's got rear drums. Do you think it could be something to do with them as opposed to the discs up front?
--
Adam
I would get the rear brakes checked out..They arent usually checked on service. Apart from peep hole in backplate this only says shoe thickness is ok..Not adjustment
--
Steve
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - mattieboy
Are your shocks OK? Can lead to 'vague' braking, but obviously would have zero influence upon pedal feel.
Matt,
Not got a clue about the shocks - the car bounces very little when you push on a corner which I believe is a good sign. As for the pedal feel - it's hard to say when sitting at a computer but I'd say, if the pedal distance was shorter to brake, I probably wouldn't notice anything but given no work has been undertaken on them any time recently, I don't know what could have caused any...'travel'.

--
Adam
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - mattieboy
Over time you get water build-up in the brake fluid (which the brake fluid absorbs very happily), which can boil under braking and cause sponginess. No idea how it does so, but I've heard that you can test the boiling point to see what the water content is. When was fluid last changed? I could be wrong, but it's the sort of thing I'd expect to be tested in a full service. It's not part of the MOT though.
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Altea Ego
It may of course be that your foot and brain is now well aclimatised to the feel of your brakes. It could be that they are just the same as they always were but you have much better delicate control of them. It happens.

Come "bum twitching stamp on the floor" emergency time you suddenly think "blimey - they work well" In situations like that the delicate control goes out the window.

Bet there is nothing wrong with them

Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Crinkly Dave
Tend to agree with Renault family
Best way to compare is to swop with a fellow owner. Any difference should be apparent to both.
Wearing pads should have no effect on braking (unless worn very thin) as the piston moves closer to the disk. if you have drum rear brakes, and they do not adjust, pedal movement can increase.
Suggest you see if you can swop with a mate, and if any doubts get an independent to remove, check, and replace pads and drums. Doubt if you would really see an effect of boiling brake fluid unless a pad is stuck in the caliper or you are driving in alpine passes.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are out to get you
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Dynamic Dave

How old is the car, and has the brake fluid ever been changed?
THanks for everyone's replies.

You could all well be right - there could be nothing wrong at all with it. I'm going to try and get a go in another one.

However, in response to Dave, brake fluid. May sound irresponsible but I don't know. The car was owned by my Dad before me and whilst he never washed it everday like me, he took good care of it so I shall ask him. The car is a '99.

If it has, I'm going to leave it because it's nothing to write home about. When the pads get changed, I may mention it.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Now - onto the little problem I'm having with the clutch...;-)
--
Adam
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Dynamic Dave
However, in response to Dave, brake fluid. May sound irresponsible but
I don't know. The car was owned by my Dad before
me and whilst he never washed it everday like me, he
took good care of it so I shall ask him. The
car is a '99.

Hmmm, 5 yrs old. Not sure what the Ford recommendation is, but Vauxhall recommend changing the fluid every 2 yrs.
Just to bring this thread to a close, I guess the answer to the title would be "Yes - they do".

Dad had a drive of it yesterday, went to the end of the street and braked...harder than usual I'll say and he said,

"Nothing wrong with them" as he tossed the keys to me and went back into the house.

He also checked the brake pads beforehand which have loads left on.

Many thanks for all of your help - I guess RF was right...not that I want to sound too surprised!

;-)
--
Adam
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - pettaw
I would get the brake fluid changed, my brakes always feel keener after a brake fluid bleed and change. This is because apparently tiny microscopic bubbles of gas build up in the fluid over time.
Would recommend as DD mentioned fluid. Its usualy a forgotten item.Not sure what DOT you have. But Dot4 is worse than DOT 3 in its absorbance of water/air.So to be certain check it out.Better safe than sorry
--
Steve
Thanks for that - Dad's car is due a service so I'll get the fluid changed on mine when it goes in.

Thanks again.
--
Adam
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - L'escargot
Is there a problem with the brake servo or the level of vacuum that it receives? Something like that could lead to the symptom you describe. In fact it's more likely to be that than a problem with the fluid ~ IMHO.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Ford Focus - brakes...are they working? - Mark (RLBS)
Did you check out Steve.o's suggestion about the rear brakes ?
Thanks for everyone's replies.

For some reason, I completely missed Steve's second post - I musn't have refreshed before replied to Matt's post.

Hopefully this week, I shall take the car and mention everything that has been suggested. Before you go thinking I'm being cavalier in not getting them sorted today, I was just on my way home and someone pulled out - needless to say, RF was right - in an emergency, they most certanly work!

I shall keep you informed of whatever happens.

Many thanks again,
--
Adam