What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
used car for 8K - kal
A friend of mine is in the market for a used family car, he has approx 8-9k to spend. He wants a 5 door family car, but something that is boring and mundane. My advice to him would be to buy a Used Honda Accord, relaible, well built etc etc, but he is more interested in something like a VW Passat 1.8SE or Volvo s60. He is not at all keen on Modeao, 406, Vectra etc etc...my, at 8-9k he could buy a used high ,mileage Audi A6 or BMW 525, but in my opinion if anything major was to fail then it could cost dearly.

I have also suggested to him a tdi vw passat available for 6-7k or Accord for 5k and pocket the spare cash. He wants car that has reasonable running costs.

Does any body have any suggestions.

Thanks for any replies.
used car for 8K - Older_not_wiser
Skoda Octavia Tdi.

The estate versions are even better (if you can find one).
used car for 8K - trancer
I understand "5-door" to mean a 4-door hatchback which means that the Passat, 5 series and A6 are not 5-door. The Accord and Volvo may not be either, so he needs to be sure what he really wants from the car.

If you ment the estate version of those cars then please disregard.
used car for 8K - barney100
Your friend should look at the Volvo saloon range. The estates are quite expensive but there are plenty of reasonable saloons around. Keep out of the main dealers and use the independent boys for servicing and you have a car that will fit the bill.
used car for 8K - Dynamic Dave
He wants a 5 door family car, but something that is boring and mundane.

Is the word "not" missing from this sentence?

used car for 8K - BazzaBear {P}
>> He wants a 5 door family car, but something that
is boring and mundane.
Is the word "not" missing from this sentence?

Just what I was thinking, there are plenty of people who don't care if their car is boring, but to actively seek that 'quality' seems an interesting decision. Does he go to restaurants and ask for his food to be tasteless? ;)
used car for 8K - kal
yes you are correct the word not is missing. Thanks for replies.
used car for 8K - Stuartli
You can get the new shape Nissan Primera five-door for around the price stated these days (8k) - styling is certainly different and kids will love the toys such as the rear-view parking camera if you can find the particular specification models in used form.