What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
306 anti-theft wheel bolt failure - Bill Phelps
Has anyone had problems removing a Peugeot 306 wheel with factory anti-theft wheel bolts?

I tried to undo one on my R reg GTI-6 and it snapped like a carrot! Luckily I was only trying to rotate wheels & not broken down.... I ordered replacements but a month later still had no word as the factory were 'changing their manufacturer' & couldn't even estimate when they would arrive.

Had to have them drilled out at the next service, but what struck me as funny was that the dealer already had a set of wheel nuts available that did the same job, but with a different part number. On inspection the new set were a lot more robust than the original part I broke, which makes my suspicious nature think the old bolt was thoroughly substandard & I am paying unnecesarily for Peugeot's flaky design.
Re: 306 anti-theft wheel bolt failure - Michael Thomas
I remember driving with a mate to Brum in his AX. He got a flat so he got the spare and the factory supplied tools out. The jack looked a bit ropey and the wrench was hopeless. The wrench twisted and then the socket snapped off it.

To quote the AA man 'Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear'
Re: 306 anti-theft wheel bolt failure - ROBIN
Its very depressing for Francophiles like me to have to watch their motor industry go the same way as the British one,and for the same reasons.
Reducing the cost of production by simplifying design and lightening parts is very laudable,but they do still have to work, out here in the jungle.
Anyone who owned a rover SD1 will tell you how easy it is to turn a very fine motor car into a spasmodically mobile heap of scrap,its called underspecifying.
The Industry leaders are still Ford.They wanted to build a Passat contender and forgot the only thing that mattered....real quality of manufacture.Its easy too,much easier than making the best handling car in its class,which they have achieved.
Most German cars are not that wonderful,dynamically,the last Passat I drove had terrible steering,for instance.They are just made of quality bits bolted up good and tight.
Its what the people want,so give them lots of it.