What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Passat 2001 Creaking Steering - mark
Just a query, I think I know what it might be but my 2001 Passat TDI has developed a slight creaking noise in the cabin when the steering is turned at low speeds. The car is coming up to 62k and has full service history.

I suspect the dreaded Passat wishbone/balljoint problem is present. I have checked the fluid tank for the power steering that is fine, full and no bubbles, nice red colour.

I know a few Passat owners have posted here with the wishbone/balljoint demise so a few questions before it goes to the garage (it will be the independent as the warranty is up).

Does this seem like the problems you had or typical of wishbone/balljoint wear?

What should I be looking at replacing? just the wishbone(s)or balljoints as well?

Where can I get the bits Eurocarpart and GSF dont list them on their sites, any ideas and cost?

Would a worn drive belt for the PAS cause this?

Should I stop driving it? What will happen worst case if say I drive 500 miles this weekend?

Any help appreciated

As always

Mark

Passat 2001 Creaking Steering - bertj
Probably not relevant but my 2001 Passat uses mineral base hydraulic fluid not red ATF fluid. I understood that mineral base hydraulic fluid has been used by VW\'s since 1999.
Hi Bertj

Its what was in then when the car was supplied new, if its been changed I haven\'t been charged for it(most unlikely given my experience of VW dealers)it or told about it.

As far as I know its not on the service list for changing and I have not topped it up so I suspect something else. No leaks from the PAS either as these would show up on the drive methinks. Would incorrect type cause the creaking? if so I will consider getting it changed.

Thanks anyway

As always

Mark
Passat 2001 Creaking Steering - DL
VAG have used mineral based PAS fluid for years.

I don't think they have ever used ATF for their PAS systems?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Mark
I'm afraid I don't really know. My power steering reservoir needed topping up for some reason; that's when I found out what type of fluid was required. Hopefully, someone else on the forum can help. The only way (I presume) that you could change the fluid would be to remove the steering rack etc. and drain it. I don't think that would be a very good idea!
Passat 2001 Creaking Steering - Aprilia
They use a Pentosin mineral oil.

You can change it using the 'turkey baster' trick.
Ok just an update, I have changed the PAS fluid, I bought a tin at the VW place yesterday and used a small pump to suck out most of what was in there. Despite there being only one car in the service bay and 3 mechanics VW delined to have a look at the wishbones. The creak is still there but somewhat reduced.

Due to a family circumstance I have to spend most of next week in Crediton, Devon and I am hoping the local Seat dealer (Cheshire) will have a look first thing Tues morning before the 250 mile trip.

That aside any suggestions, should I do the drive? will I be causing untold damage?

If Mr Seat won't take a peep I will have to hunt out a VW dealer or independant soemwhere in Devon but I would prefer one who can get the parts ASAP if they are needed or have them on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Am I right in suspecting the wishbone/balljoints?

Any advice appreciated a concerned and worried

Mark
Isn't the car still under the 3 year warranty? If not, it can't be far out. It would be worth finding a decent VW dealer (if such exists in your area) getting them to check the car and then trying for a good will gesture from VW as there have been problems with wishbones etc. on Passats.
Sorry, just noticed that you say in your first post that the warranty is up. I'd still have a go at a VW dealer and try for good will.
Hello Bertj

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately the car is a personal import, I was treated like a pariah for any warranty discussions by VW when it was in force and I think a request to eat the dealers first born would be more favourably received than any goodwill suggestion now its out of warranty. This was evidenced fairly clearly yesterday when I went to the dealers. Three mechanics standing around one car on a ramp and my request "could any one have a look and confirm the wishbones are on the way out" was met with a firm "nah we are too busy". They had the car details on the screen as part of the finding the right type of PAS fluid routine and the first thing the guy said when the screen came up was "oh its an import, we might not have it in stock".

I am prepared to take it on the chin costwise as VW will have to when my next car is not a VW.

As always

Mark
Passat 2001 Creaking Steering - JohnM{P}
First wisbone problem with my '97Passat TDi was at 100k with a squeaking sound. Gaarage had a tussle with the leasing company to get it changed. The other 3 went at 115k-140k miles (after I had bought it from the leasing company...) though they all were knocking, rather than squeaking. I don't think 500 miles would be a problem - a neighbour was waiting for months for new bits (later, when the problem had became more commonplace...)
Driving a few hundred miles is not going to be a problem. You will feel it knocking and clunking before it gets dangerous. When its bad, uneven tyre wear will be the first casualty.

Any garage, especially one that does MoT's, should be able to take a look for you. The wishbones are not difficult to change, nor do they require any special tools. I did one and it took a very leisurely couple of hours (cups of tea and breaking off to chat with owner) - its no big deal, really.

I just changed the fuel filter on my Nissan Maxima - that was much more difficult! I think back at the factory they installed the filter on the firewall and then built the engine around it.
Ok Lets update this thread.

Last week the VW dealer deigned to see the car. When I went to collect I was told the wishbones were shot along with a damper. Ballpark of £800 to fix. Apparently they are seeing a "lot of these at the moment". Shocked at the figure I went home given the creaking had stopped a few days after draining and replacing the PAS tank I was'nt too sure.

Anyway today I took the car to the Seat Dealers for an oil service they are nearer and about 55% of the VW dealer price for the same thing as well as using VW numbered parts. Whilst there I asked if they could do a pre-mot inspection as part of the service as the 1st MOt is due in mid June. I asked them to quote for anything that needed doing, they asked if there was anything I was worried about and I asked they check the wishbones.

They called at midday, to say "we can't find anything wrong do you want us to take it for the test at the local diesel test garage"? (The Seat place only tests petrols). I agreed and in it went, followed by a call at 2pm asking if the logbook was in the car so they could prep the cert. It was'nt it was at home so the Seat guy drove round to pick it up take it to the testing garage and get the cert and the car.

By 3pm I had paid and collected with a 12 and 3/4 month cert and a bill of just under £100 all in.

So thats 2 garages who could not find anything wrong with the wishbones...mmmmmm....

as always

Mark
To be fair, the bushes would have to be in fairly poor shape to fail the MoT. Some minor deterioration is considered acceptable. I guess *something* was creaking and it probably was the bushes.
£800 to fix is a crazy price though. I would be reluctant to pay even half of that.