Travel Advice? (not strictly motoring) - BazzaBear {P}
But it is for a motoring holiday, and I\'ve been offered so much good advice on here for other parts of the holiday [makes hurt little puppy eyes at moderators]

OK, so assuming this hasn\'t been deleted, here\'s my question:
We have economy flights booked with BMI across to Chicago, then an American Airline to LA.
I was thinking about the possibility of getting the seats upgraded, since it\'s such a long flight, and it\'s our honeymoon.
Anyone got any experience of trying to get upgrades?
Obviously favourite would be a free upgrade, but am I best ringing and asking about paying for one, but mentioning the honeymoon?
Or should I wait until I get to the check-in desk, so I can re-use the puppy dog eyes that worked so well on the moderators?
Travel Advice? (not strictly motoring) - Altea Ego
Puppy dog eyes. Make sure you are both smartly dressed, pleasant, well behaved, polite, and mention to the check-in girl its your honeymoon, and your lovely bride has always dreamed of flying in club class/first class. It may work.

(she will end up feasting on lobster in first and you will be sat next to a fat American in cattle class eating plastic dinners)
Travel Advice? (not strictly motoring) - topaktas
And you could always add that longhaul in the bucket-and-spade department gives you back problems (incompatible with the duties of a husband on honeymoon).
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - bradgate
Bazza,

It's your lucky day. I happen to know a bit about how this particular Airline does things.... They have 3 classes on their long-haul routes: Economy, New Economy (ie extra legroom, better IFE, same meals.)and Business. You are highly unlikely to get upgraded from Economy to Business, but an upgrade to New Economy is distinctly possible, particularly if the flight is busy.

This is how it works: very few people are prepared to pay extra to travel in New Economy, so Economy tends to be heavily overbooked and surplus punters upgraded to New on the day.

Priority for upgrades is given to:

1, Members of BMI's, or their partner airlines, frequent flyer schemes.
2, Airline staff
3, Ordinary economy punters who look respectable (ie 'smart casual' dress)and are travelling without children.

If you let me know when you are booked, I may be able to give you an indication of whether they might be looking for people who are 'SFU', ie suitable for upgrade.
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - No Do$h
It's your lucky day. I happen to know a bit about
how this particular Airline does things

Now I'm intrigued. Don't suppose you can let us in on the secret for shorthaul? I could have done with knowing this a few weeks back when I was buzzing back and forth to Edinburgh with BMI. Mind you, I did always manage to get the overwing exit seats (more legroom) when a much taller colleague who adopted "dress-down" got wedged in to a standard seat. And he laughed at me for wearing a suit!
Hi ND,

The best way to get upgraded on any shothaul airline which offers a 2-class service is to join their frequent flyer scheme. Members always get priority over non-members. Being a member of a rival airline's scheme, eg. BA Executive Club,is almost as good. Airlines are always looking to poach each other's best customers, and will probably be keen for you to try out their service.

Other than that, the best way is to ask politely and look like you are a typical business traveller, ie suit & briefcase.
contd...

You should ring the Airline's reservations dept 2-3 days before you fly, explain that it's your honeymoon and ask nicely if they might consider upgrading you. Then on the day, arrive in good time and go to the ticket desk before you join the checkin queue. Explain the situation again, ask very nicely and you may be in luck.

If you give me a few more details, i may be able to help further....
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - BazzaBear {P}
Thanks Mate.

We're flying out on the 22nd of April, manchester to Chicago, flight number BD705, flight back is BD706 on 6th May.
Let me know if you need any more info.
No Dosh knows my work email, if you need to contact me directly, I'm sure he'd be able to give you that (and i hereby give permission for him to do so, assuming that's necessary)
Hi Bazza,

My sources inform me that you have picked a good day for an upgrade....

BMI will need to upgrade at least 20 people from Economy to New economy on BD 705 MAN-ORD on 22nd April.

You should ring 0870 6070222 a couple of days before departure, explain that it's your honeymoon and ask nicely. it's definitely worth a try.

Good Luck.
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - Thommo
On BA you USED to be able to phone and request champagne be served immdediately after take off, which in economy you have to pay for by credit card. They then used to ask you what the occasion was and you could tell them honeymoon.

10 years ago it USED to work a treat and I got married and upgraded several times.

BA are no longer willing to sell you champagne in economy so you can't pull this stunt now, the staff are also unbelievably stroppy these days and seem to go out of their way to be unpleasant so if I get the chance I fly with someone else, anyway...

you could try it on BMI, it might just work...
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - Altea Ego
err So how many times did you get married then?
Lets put it this way, I was not travelling with Miss Right but I was travelling with Miss Rightnow.

As to my views on the holy state of deadlock, well he can email me in 5 years time...
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - matt35 {P}
Baz,

If you are as lucky in marriage as you are in getting good advice from Bradgate - you will have a long and happy marriage!

Good Luck on the day.

Matt35.
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - Mapmaker
I remember once reading that buying a cheap stamp (£10) made up by a stationers that stated 'Priority customer, please upgrade if possible XYZ travel agents', and then stamping it onto your tickets was a brilliant idea.

These same stationers make up stamps for £10 saying 'XYZ garage, Maidstone' which is ideal for filling in those blanks in the service book.

I suspect that both are fairly fraudulent!
Posh where you come from. £10 a stamp.

Whats wrong with a John Bull printing kit for forging documents?

Still available from selected toy stores...
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - Colin M
BA has a standard upgrade fare, payable on board to move from economy to economy plus to club to first in any number of moves (and increasing cost). I understand there are many people who buy the cheapest economy fare possible then pay to upgrade to business on board, the nett cost lower than buying the cheapest business class ticket on the ground.

Smile at check in, that's all I can suggest. Unfortunately everyone seems to know someone that knows someone in the airlines so on a typical 747 flight there must be 50 requests for upgrades. If the flight is full, you stand a better chance due to overbooking. We never leave people behind and on some flights half the passengers in a particular cabin are upgrades from next class down. If your flight is empty, it's a lot less likely.

Thanks for the good wishes Matt, but I\'ve been unclear. We actually got married in August last year, but postponed the honeymoon. And yes, she\'s fantastic, as if proof were needed she hired me this for the weekend to drive to and from church in:
photos.fotango.com/p/eba00355938f00000014.jpg
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - Pugugly {P}
I flew with BMi on a recent trip to the States. They were very good and economy was ok. Due to "security" issues on the way back we missed our flight and had to re-booked onto an United flight - they were even better when PU put on his best Solicitor voice and we got an immediate upgrade to First Class - no argument nothing - was wearing a rather dark (in both senses) tee shirt whether that had a bearing or not.
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - No Do$h
Thanks for the good wishes Matt, but I\'ve been unclear. We
actually got married in August last year, but postponed the honeymoon.
And yes, she\'s fantastic, as if proof were needed she hired
me this for the weekend to drive to and from church
in:
photos.fotango.com/p/eba00355938f00000014.jpg

Blimey, not easy to find one of those Capri Bullit kit cars.....
I hope you feel suitably guilty, Mr ND, for that piece of sacrelige. I think you've been spending too much time on Alfaowner.
Rest assured, there's no place in heaven for people who insult the holy Aston Martin.
Advice wanted - no strictly motoring... - matt35 {P}
Baz,

You have found a gem - enjoy your honeymoon!

A few years ago, when I was working, I had to fly to Milan on BA - as my wife has asthma, she sat in Row 1 in Club - as an olympic smoker, I sat in Row 4....Saturday morning... one other passenger.

Stewardess said - we are empty, you can sit together - I jokingly replied that after 25 years of marriage it was better to sit apart.

Half hour later, comes the lunch...with a bottle of Champagne and a card signed by the Skipper, Co-Pilot and all of the crew for our Anniversary - Mary looked back at me and I shrugged, as I had not said it was an Anniversary.

Going off the flight, they presented us with a bottle of very good red wine for my wife and a bottle of Chablis for me - felt a bit guilty - but it did not work on the return flight!

Let us all know if you get an upgrade?

Matt35.
I'll let you know the result, although you'll have to wait till I get back. Don't think stopping off on the honeymoon to check HJ woul;dn't be popular :D